Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Capricornia imho

Lachlan_Kirk@agd.nsw.gov.au Lachlan_Kirk@agd.nsw.gov.au
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 13:45:39 +1100

Workers

> >From: Randy Van Vliet <bigdaddyrv@yahoo.com>
> >To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
> >Subject: [Powderworks] Capricornia Commentary
> >Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 07:45:56 -0700 (PDT)
> >
> >Well, I have now given Capricornia a fair listen and I
> >really like most of it.  It returns to the BSM/ESM
> >kind of funkiness that was clearly missing from RW
> >(Which, btw, is their strongest effort, imho).  You
> >never know what is going to come up next.

The best album by far since ESM.  Stripped back...good production, very strong
songs.

> >Great MO songs:  Overpass (best song since time to
> >Heal), Luritja way (who sings the "guiding light"
> >part?), Golden Age.

Poets and Slaves, Tone Poem, Mosi March, Luritja Way.

> >Average MO songs:  Too Much Sunshine, Tone Poem,
> >Mosquito March, Been Away Too Long.

Capricornia, World That I See, Been Away Too Long, Too Much Sunshine, Golden Age

> >Weak MO songs:  Capricornia, World That I See.

Under The Overpass.  What is doing there???  Right up there with Time To Heal
imho.

> >Songs I like better live (From the MMM "Magnus" boot:
> >Say Your Prayers.

Great song.  Awesome to really crank up, one of the better songs on TRT.

> >Which brings me to that.  Poets & Slaves seems to
> >continue a MO tradition of a very good song that is a
> >very hard listen after a good, diverse set.  I put it
> >in the same category as Nothing Lost Nothing Gained,
> >Is It Now, Somebody's Trying to Tell Me Something,
> >Bells and Horns/Shipyards of New Zealand, Antarctica,
> >and Now or Never Land.  These are mostly above average
> >songs but they require a lot of paying attention to
> >(sorry for the grammatical error).  At the end of a
> >Midnight Oil set Im not really in the mood to sit down
> >and pay attention and appreciate the subtle nuances of
> >the songwriters craft (sort of like at the end of a
> >two hour symphony - I enjoyed it but I just want to
> >relax).  So I like Poets & Slaves, but more if I hear
> >it alone rather than at the end of the CD.

Oh man....one of the best Oils album book ends yet.  Had some ripper book end
tunes on certain albums..Now Or Never Land and Shipyards come to mind, of course
Lucky Country is the bee sting of a closer.  Fantastic stuff.  Nothing better
than a killer final track to close an album imho.  I guess that's a whole thread
unto itself.  Savatage's Believe, Floyd's High Hopes....

best,
Lachlan

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain privileged
or confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient you must
not use, disclose, copy or distribute this communication.  If you have
received this message in error please delete the email and notify the sender.
Web Site

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au