Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: Antarctica

michel quak miekwaa@hotmail.com
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 21:44:42 +0000

G'day mates,

It's amazing indeed, how music can remind you of certain situations, places
and things that happen in one's life. And I'm not only talking lyrics but
also the whole atmosphere, the musical landscape.

But the opposite is also possible:
I started listening to the Oils back in 1998, after I went to Australia for
5 months. I bought the Diesel and Dust album since Beds are burning was on
it, but my eye fell on the song that is titled Gunbarrel Highway: I went on
a tour from Perth -> Laverton -> Kata Tjuta -> Uluru -> Alice and we took a
part of the Gunbarrel highway...

The song gives me the EXACT feeling I had when we were driving though the
outback, remote places. But also Blue Sky Mine, Earth and sun and moon:
these albums all have their special sounding songs that remind me of that
certain period.

Another great album I absolutely appreciate is Afraid of Sunlight by
Marillion. If you get the opportunity, listen to the songs Out of this
World, Afraid of Sunlight and Beyond You: each very atmospheric...
Another album I played in a rented car while driving from Perth up to Monkey
Mia (Via Carnarvon's infamous Pinnacles and Nature's Window)was Iris -
Crossing the Desert. This instrumental album is a get-together of
Marillion's Pete Trewavas (Bass)and Ian Mosley (Drums) and Arrakeen's
Sylvain Gouvernaire (Keys, Guitars). And I can tell you: it's hard to keep
your car under 150 km/h (and out of the police -radar....) while playing
this progressive highlight very loud...

Point is: everytime I listen to these songs, looking at my framed Ken Duncan
photograph of the Twelve Apostles hanging on my wall of my Rotterdam
appartment I'm back Down Under....(and wondering what the hell I'm still
doing here).

HOPING THE OILS WILL PLAY IN HOLLAND VERY SOON!!

Cheers everyone, have a VB or Triple X and keep up the good work..

Michel