Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: digest/ian's comments

fluw fluwdot@earthlink.net
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:47:42 -0500

ian said: <<when i see one of these people in the street >>

one of what people, ian? and if you want to know how to know who to trust
'cause you can't trust "these people" then educate yourself! so you can tell
the difference between a berka, a yamika, or some brown skinned person in a
robe! for krissakes. i can't believe i am hearing these types of phrases in
the twenty first century and on the oil list too!
the theory about a majority of the midnight oil fans being a bunch of
mainstreamers who got lucky to find them when the oils went top ten seems to
have merit. that may sound like a prejudiced statement, but like they say: "
if you can't beat them join them."

and if this is the type of person paying attention to the oils after all
these years, i just hope the oils don't continue to put out soft albums to
appease their graying mainstream milking from the system with two cats, two
suburban kids and a dependence on my patriotic  company cubical nitwits.

i hadn't seen midnight oil since 85 when i made the trek last year to catch
some shows in the US south. at those shows i noticed activists offering
information and opportunities to the folks gathering at the shows. this
didn't strike me as odd. however i did notice that they were ignored by
midnight oil fans! i thought what is up with that? midnight oil fans not
caring about justice and issues of the demise of rights and the
planet?!...now after being on this list i understand...

it saddens me to say that it is time i leave this list for i cannot bear the
overwhelming ignorance any longer, and i pray the trend of midnight oil
softening what makes them special for the sake of appeal does not continue.
if so then for me the redneck wonderland album will be the swan song.

goodbye all and especially the few who care for more than the wonderful
melodies and collectors items -- those who are inspired by the music's
spirited ideals and act upon them!

todd