Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: Powderworks digest, Vol 1 #617 - 12 msgs

LLOYD_Ian@canon.com.au LLOYD_Ian@canon.com.au
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 16:41:48 +1000

Dan,

I agree about the innocent people in those countries who are being hurt because of all this and i do feel for them, but the truth is how do we know
which of these people we can trust, it seems like every day we hear of these people strapping bombs to themselves and killing 100's of innocent
people.
To be honest the first thing i think of when i see one of these people in the street is, i wonder if they have a bomb under that robe? I know that
most of them don't and most would never do it but i think to myself that they come from the same part of the world and believe in the same God so what
would be stopping them from doing something like that. It's sad but how can you trust them?

IAN LLOYD - National Sales Admin. Team Leader
CANON - Business Imaging Solutions Group
Level 2, 1 Thomas Holt Drive, North Ryde 2113
PH: (02) 9805 2384
FAX: 1800 352227
E-MAIL: lloyd_ian@canon.com.au

                    Dan Heaton
                    <dnheaton@yahoo.com>           To:     powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
                    Sent by:                       cc:     LLOYD-Ian@canon.com.au
                    powderworks-admin@cs.co        Subject:     [Powderworks] Re: Powderworks
                    lorado.edu                     digest, Vol 1 #617 - 12 msgs

                    09/08/2002 11:27 PM

Ian, I understand your point, but I disagree with its
sentiments. The attacks on 9/11 were hideous acts, but
it's not that simple when talking about the war on
terrorism.  The George Bush idea that we are "driving
off the evildoers" with this war is simplistic. We are
also fighting in a place where people who having
nothing to do with 9/11 live.  I'm not saying that
this war is completely unnecessary, but saying that
"the world would be better off witbout them" is tough.

On a more personal note, I went to the museum in
Hiroshima on September 10th last fall, and its
saddening effects are with me every day. Since i'm
only 26 and was not around during World War II, it's
difficult for me to criticize the decision to drop the
bomb.

However, the devastation that it wrought is
unbelievable. Seeing the awful pictures and hearing
the comments of the survivors really put a human face
on that terrible day. You'll never look at atomic
warfare or any other type the same way after going to
this museum.

I don't see a large connection with dropping the bomb
in 1945 and the war on terrorism. I don't think the
world was better off without the countless Japanese
victims of the atomic bomb.

Sorry to ramble, but this is an interesting topic.

Dan