Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] No he did not! - but PG always has been.

Martin Bradburn bradburn1 at cox.net
Wed Sep 22 22:01:37 MDT 2004

I have to say there is a decided tonality that is set by being a little
sharp or flat. Intentional or not, Pete's flatness at the start of US is
just so well. Oils and
it is a beautiful start and lead in to the acoustics and the build into
the full band. It also offsets the belting out "Divided world.." a  nice
balance. There are some other
off key stuff that works, lots of punks do it (I know because they can't
sing) but Sid V's version of  "My Way" totally works because of he is so
off  key. Also check out
J,Mascis on Dino Jr's "Not the Same" from "Where ya been"  amazing ( and
a album to blow your stereo up to). I was in a band that did a punched
up cover of Tom Jones
"It's not unusual" singing deliberately off key. It has it's place. As
to the Bones/Giffo  debate listen to "Luritja Way" in 5.1 surround. When
Bones comes in it's like
angels. He's not to shabby on Unplugged either!

Martin G. Bradburn
West Greenwich, RI
"It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees"
Midnight Oil "Power and the Passion"