Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] No he did not!

Kate Parker Adams kate at dnki.net
Tue Sep 21 10:39:01 MDT 2004

I think all this may have something to do with how it was recorded.

I have heard other recordings of live shows where harmonizing vocals sound
strange or off-key and I think it has to do with how a particular vocal part
comes into the mix as recorded.  Thus it might sound right at the venue but
not on the recording.

At live shows for the Oils and for other bands I have noticed strange
effects of being very close to the stage and hearing the individual monitor
near me more than the PA, and of actually hearing unamplified singing on top
of the PA on top of the monitors.  Something similar may happen during
recording.

Also, something recorded off the sound board is going to be very different
than something recorded from the audience.  The sound guy mixes so it sounds
good coming out of the PA and that includes bouncing off the walls, echoing
across the water, etc. and that may not sound so right coming out of the
jack.  Audience recordings will vary according to the location of the person
recording the show.

just my $0.02 US
Kate