SV: [Powderworks] Oils Survey
bjorn.blomquist at mbox301.swipnet.se
Sun Sep 5 03:09:57 MDT 2004
1. what's your name?
2. where do you live?
3. how old are you?
4. what do you do for a living?
For a living? I wish I knew...
5. what was the first song you heard by the Oils?
It must have been "Beds are burning".
6. how old were you when you heard it?
It was released when I was 11, so probably a few years later...
7. what are your two favorite albums, from one
> extreme to the other?
'Diesel and Dust' and 'E & S & M'.
8. favorite energetic song?
Can't choose only one.
9. favorite slow song?
10. what song(s) defines the Oils?
I'd say the "Dreamworld", "Golden age" kind-of songs.
11. what song is *least* characteristic of the Oils?
12. Martin or Jim?
Jim, because he writes lots of songs and plays the keys too. :-)
13. what Oils song did you absolutely hate at first and
"Mountains of Burma" wasn't an instant favourite so to speak...
14. did you buy any Oils releases totally on faith, without having
heard a single song before buying it?
Yes, most of them.
15. do you play any instruments?
Clarinet, and some keyboards too. No strings attached! ;)
16. if you could go to any ONE place mentioned in an Oils song,
where would you go?
Tough question... they never mention the Pyramids, do they?
17. have the Oils ever inspired you to take any direct action as
part of any environmental/social activist cause?
No. (I support the Swedish Green Party, but that's got nothing to do
with the Oils.)
18. have you ever had any Oils-related dreams?
If I've had, I don't remember it...
19. Bones or Giffo?
When I discovered the Oils' world, in 1990, Bones was already a part of
it. Didn't know about Giffo then... But I have to say both; Giffo for
the bass, and Bones for the bass AND singing.
And when you listen to the first two albums, don't forget "Bear"!
20. what forgotten song deserves another spin?
I go for "Mountains of Burma" again. And as a clarinet player, I must
hear "Bakerman" now and then! ;-)