Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC: Funeral of fair Australia

Craig Lawton craig.lawton at internode.on.net
Sat Oct 16 22:41:51 MDT 2004

I've always taken an avid interest in politics and the future of my
country, Australia. I've always felt that equity and prosperity must be
good bed-fellows, and have leaned left-wards in my politics and music... :-)

Why did Labor lose? A mixture of the short-term and long-term. I think
that the forests policy was released too late, and Latham was only 10
months into the job.

My brother summed it up for me beautifully. We were talking about the
election and I sensed his unease so I said, "You voted Liberal didn't
ya?" and he replied, "I was looking for reasons to vote for Latham and I
just couldn't find them". The activist (or radical)  in me wanted to
shout him down with stuff about children overboard and Iraq etc., but
well I sensed that his observation had some resonance with what other
people had been saying, and well it's easy for leftists to try and take
the hight moral ground.

Lindsay Tanner summed up Labor's problems (in the long-term), by saying
"We have to work out who we are". The union movement and the Labor Party
are still organisationally tied but, for the sake of the parties future,
they must have looser binds. You know the writing's on the wall when you
have John Howard cheered by on logging unionist/workers.

I'm all for collectivism, union-style, but I think closed-shops and
compulsary unionism robbed the movement of any need to remain relevant
to the workers. Witness that when compulsary unionism is stopped in
workplaces, union membership drops are startling (>40% in some cases).
People don't see unions as relevant any more unless you are in a
particular industry, like logging, which is protected because of it's
importance in swinging one or two parliamentery seats. Industries based
in cities have had to change and remain relevant, but the country seems
to be immune sometimes to the modern world. But I'm drifting.....

I shall now coin anew phrase, the "Lazy Left". The "Lazy Left" sits on
its big hairy arse, smug on the high-moral ground, unwilling to
creatively engage the future. We need a robust economy and jobs, we need
a developing democracy and we need a sustainable environment. You cannot
create a future for a country without engaging these core principles in
a creative, organic and changing way. The fact that Labor is made of
mainly of ex-union leaders and backers distorts their views. The
recruitment of people like Peter Garrett, and other people from diverse
backgrounds is essential for the survival of the Labor party and the
existance of a true opposition.

Peter Costello is fond of saying that we can't take prosperity for
granted. I yearn for a leader/party who tell us we cannot take
democracy, inclusiveness and equity for granted either (oh yeah... and
the environment). The closest we have is Bob Brown. Unfortunately their
policies are too radical for most Australians to consider and they are
too certain of the moral superiority. (Hey and I was member until recently)

I pray that the changes initiated by Simon Crean in reducing the union
strangle-hold on the Labor party and the injection of Mark "ideas-man"
Latham initiate a re-invention of the Left in this country. God knows we
need it.