Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Apologies NMOC

Kate Parker Adams kate at dnki.net
Thu Nov 4 08:38:42 MST 2004

Hmmm ... Dan is right.  I don't think I need to apologise to the world
because I didn't do anything ... Well, I actually did a fair amount to make
it not happen and it still did - yakked myself hoarse on the cel phone
rousting out voters in NH and Oregon, etc.  I do ask that residents of the
rest of the world do not lump all us 'murkins together under one Bush ...
there are clearly deep divisions in our country between the homophobic and
terrorist-frightened folk willing to give up liberty for safety and the
glorious promise of a failed colonial paradigm and those of us who see it
all as a dangerously arrogant, ignorant no-win shell game.

If we all just roll over and play dead, though, then we WILL have something
to apologize for.  Bush got only a slight majority in the electoral college
and the popular vote was nearly tied.  That is not a mandate.

As I said before, John Kerry is my state's senator.  Even if he became
president, he would have had to get all his pet legislation through congress
... no mean feat given the current makeup of the house and the senate.  But
he is IN congress still and he CAN still submit all the bills and stuff he
wanted to ANYWAY.  He should be highly encouraged to do all that he said he
would do from the chamber if not from the Oval Office.  With Daschile gone,
there is no reason Kerry shouldn't run for his minority leadership
position - after all, half the country wanted him to be their leader!

I think it is all very appropriate that the massive online organization tool
for that 50% that didn't go for Bush is called "Move On".

kPa