Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC: Don't buy gas tomorrow

Tim Hunter tim.hunter at eircom.net
Wed May 19 04:08:11 MDT 2004

On 18 May 2004 at 19:35, Cheryl H wrote:

  #it went up yesterday to $2.05 a gallon for regular, but I saw that it's
  #$2.69 for premium in new york city.  that's sick that they charge you $4 a
  #gallon.  I'm not sure that this is a worldwide protest, but if it's not,
  #maybe it should be.

It's not sick.  It's a better reflection of the true economic cost of using
gasoline.  If gas had been $4/gallon for years, do you think SUVs would have
gained the popularity they have?  What's sick is that the gas prices have been
incredibly cheap for years, which leads to obnoxiously inefficient vehicles
and housing where the idea of walking to the grocery store is inconceivable.

Still, you needn't worry too much.  I'm pretty sure I heard Bob Woodword say
that President Bush made a deal with somebody in Saudi Arabia to drop oil
prices just before the election, to give Bush that extra boost in the polls.

Happy driving

tim

PS: I live a 20 minute walk from work, buy expensive groceries from shops 2-5
    minutes away, and do all other shopping with a backpack.  It is a pain
    compared to when I had a car & could get a trunk-full of groceries -- I do
    want a car, but auto insurance is a nightmare here, mostly due to lack of
    competition.