Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] More infos about the DVD

Mark Nash markn at advancedmotorsports.com
Wed Mar 3 09:19:49 MST 2004

Guys

This issue has been covered before. There are several home DVD players
available in the US that will read PAL encoded DVD's and using hardware
decoding on the fly, output them to a standard US NTSC format TV. These same
DVD players also ignore region encoding. I have a Cyberhome CH-500 player at
home that plays the Hunters & Collectors PAL encoded DVD "Under One Roof"
perfectly.

I bought the DVD player a couple of years ago @ Best Buy for about $70. It
even does progressive scan, and plays every type of disc I can throw at it.
Don't spend the money on Sony or the like. They are interested in protecting
their market, and will never offer capabilties such as the little guys.

For those worried about quality. Don't. These players are made in the same
factories as the name brands anyway.

I will buy that DVD from Whammo very soon after release, and it will play in
my player without any issues.

Cheers

Mark Nash

BTW. It is actually possible to rip a DVD to hard disk, convert the video to
NTSC and then burn back to DVD, but I have found it is a pain in the arse.
All the tools are shareware or freeware and not exactly stable most of the
time.  Also, you will need a very grunty PC, as the video encoding takes
hours.