Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] RE: RH & the Gang

Jeff and Jane Scott jscott at iinet.net.au
Sat Jul 3 03:38:59 MDT 2004

> From:  Tari, Vince
>
> The Kelly Gang features Hirst on drums, Rick Grossman (Hoodoo
> Gurus) on
> bass, Scotty Aplin (Waikiki) on bass and is fronted by Jack Nolan.
>
> Their album 'Looking For The Sun' was recorded at Paradise
> Studios with a
> little help from another Australia hit maker Billy Field.
>
> Friends who came along for the sessions include Midnight Oil's Martin
> Rotsey, Hoodoo Gurus Brad Shepherd and John Swan (Swanee)

I bought this album a while back based purely on the Oils connection,
and after initial ambivalence it's grown on me.

The Oils influence is not particularly noticeable, and Rob didn't write
any of the songs but you can certainly pick him on the backing vocals.

Anyway, probably a worthwhile purchase if you like quality Australian
songwriting, and if they were coming this far west I'd certainly go and
see them.

jeff...