Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: Powderworks Digest, Vol 5, Issue 31

Miron Mizrahi mironmizrahi at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 25 19:18:28 MST 2004

> From: "Nathan Arrowsmith" <mrnoisy at iprimus.com.au>
> Subject: [Powderworks] From the ABC in Australia
> >From an ABC employee:
>
> "If you can get to a Digital set top box on the 9th of March
> around 11pm,
> we are playing the Midnight Oil concert from Goat Island. They
> took all the
> multitracks and made a new mix in 5.1 in Melbourne (somewhere) and
> we
> get to run it to air. They are also doing a first, a world wide
> ABC DVD
> release about a week later.

afaik you will need a high definition (HD) set top box . the
standard definition (SD) set top box isn't much better than regular
TV and cannot do anything beyond stereo and 4:3. problem is HD
decoders are $500 min. if you know cheaper ones let me know. I am
keen to get one.

> I will get the tape this week end. I also understand they went to
> the
> effort of doing a pan scan to make it 16:9. we will see."

I hope not. pan and scan is used to adapt a 16:9 to 4:3. I hope they
did not remaster only to shrink it again.

I sincerely hope I am wrong. let me know how it went.

will this air on regular ABC or just the HD channel?

=====
Miron

   How could people get so unkind?