Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Oils "Longboxes"

Beth Curran bcurran at columbus.rr.com
Thu Dec 30 11:03:21 MST 2004

Wow, does this take me back!  the first CDs were packaged as Chris said, in
chipboard outer containers about twice as long as the CD case.  They were
packaged like that for 3 reasons:  so they'd be visible in the bins that fit
vinyl, so you could still see the cover art (people bitched about the CDs
being so small they couldn't see the pictures) and to make them larger and
therefore harder to steal.  I distinctly remember reading that the Oils were
instrumental in convincing CD manufacturers to stop using the longboxes, on
the grounds that they were environmentally wasteful.  Back then I was still
reading Rolling Stone on a regular basis, so I bet that's where I read it.
Does anybody else remember this? - Beth