Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] VLMOC: is he a good man

ribman at manthey.com.au ribman at manthey.com.au
Wed Apr 14 19:54:04 MDT 2004

i love philosophy debates ...
no-one has tacked around the aspect of this lyric regarding "is he a GOOD
man"
ie: a foundational assumption of religious followings is that their deity is
NOT deliberately deceiving them.  ie: unstated assumption #1 within
christianity is "God is benevolent".  this is a possible puzzle proffered by
the MTM lyric: we assume god is 'male', and more subtly, we assume the
deific is 'good' (not messing with our heads).
there are other more base assumptions involved in religious pursuit such
as 'there IS a deific layer', "the deific layer is static (vs dynamic)", 'the
deific layer is singular (vs plural)', 'text X describes the deific accurately', ...
i'm sure i could pop out a few more if anyone's interested.
remember ... this is philosophy. and by such a glimpse of possible MO lyric
meanings.  don't confuse this with a religious debate ... my comment is not
intended as such ... (anyone wanting to pursue such with me personally ..
off list would be 'the go').

cheers
rob, son of a son of a son of a son of a man who died because his beard
caught fire.