Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] THESE SHOULD NOT BE FORGOTTEN YEARS - AN OILSLIVE PROJECT

Kate Parker Adams kate@dnki.net
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 12:15:57 -0400

Like just about anything Oils, even the songs off Breathe are much better
played live.  I've heard e-beat and common ground in concert and they go
over quite well.

On that note, I had Gravelrash going though my head last night (as well as
covering my right foot and shin ...) while returning from a 100 mile
coastal bike ride capped off by an hour of bodyboarding in lingering swells
from Isabel.  I realized that I had Breathe in the car and dropped it in
the CD player (e-beat, gravelrash, underwater - NOT surf's up!).

I really think Breathe should have been an EP, although I doubt there could
be any consensus on which songs would be on it.  Some of my tossaways are
another's favourite.  Group-editing it down by five songs would make for an
interesting scrum ...

A couple years ago I did find one good use for Breathe in its
entirety.  When I heard Oils tickets were going on sale in early September,
2001, I decided that maybe I hadn't given that album a fair go.  On
beautifully sunny early fall morning I dropped it in my pack to take to
work.  I was working in another office that day, planning to play it when I
got back to my own.  I ended up listening to it all the way through when I
returned - while curled into a fetal position around the subwoofer under my
desk - after a morning of internal hysteria and caring for and calming
those with likely or known losses when the planes came crashing down.  I
biked home (good thing - highways shut, transit system down) with that most
post-apocolyptic Barest Degree running about my gray matter.  Breathe's
muted yet desperate negative vibe with it's tinge of hope makes wonderful
world-coming-to-an-end thumb-sucking music, that's for sure.