Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Seeking Oilish Music With A Conscience

Jurriaan thunder7@xs4all.nl
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 15:03:18 +0200

From: Kate Parker Adams <kate@dnki.net>
Date: Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 09:34:04PM -0400
>    Most Canadian Bruceloid!
>
>    Do check in to the UK Folkpunk band "The Levellers".  They sing volumes
>    about working class and underclass problems, the soul-sucking aspects of
>    over-paced and over technologized modern life, the double standards in
>    society for rich and poor, and unpolished yarns about alcohol stupidities.

[yes, I've been away - vacation to Iceland]

If you like the Levellers, also check

Oysterband (somewhat more folky and less down-to-earth than the levs,
IMHO) http://www.oysterband.co.uk
New Model Army (even better than the levs, IMVHO)
http://www.newmodelarmy.org
The Men They Couldn't Hang (somewhere in between).
Skyclad - heavy metal meets folk, with lots of witty lyrics.

Why is it that bands with good lyrics more often happen to have a
violinist? Or is that my taste?

Jurriaan
--
Someone's stained