Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Guitars that sing! (NMOC)

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 12:48:58 -0400 (EDT)

--0-198719570-1062780538=:56857

Hello again fiends and zebras,

Regarding the price of good gear and lack of access to it for average bums like most of us: it is pitifully ironic when the only people who can afford the really good stuff are the rich players who would sound great on almost any guitar. I don't begrudge these cats the right to play what they play, but we're entitled to be a wee bit envious eh?

As for the 'collectors' who lock beautiful guitars up in safety deposit boxes or glass cases as 'investments' -- the same type of eco-nits who buy gas guzzling off-road SUV's then epuip them with high performance street tires and rims...sheister!...then there are the poser types who strap them on for the camera but couldn't manage a decent sounding grip if Segovia himself tutored them, some even having the nerve to smash perfectly good guitars in public view and think it's cool! How do these people keep from killing themselves?

Sorry! - just getting caught up on posts from the summer, and had to respond to some of Damien's comments, especially the cheeky ones - old Mark Knob Gobbler indeed! His gear is a large part of his tone, for sure. And there's no doubt that playing great classic gear does make a body play longer and better. Some stuff just sounds great, period.

But I've also experienced the opposite with certain amps. Some real classics that have been played by masters make me sound even more sloppy and hideous than I do through my own humble rig....I'm thinking of something like the highly esteemed Dumble Overdrive Special. It makes guys like Robben Ford sound brilliant, but a lesser player may suck worse than normal through it. And what could possibly possess anyone to make a career out of playing rock n roll guitar through a Roland JC120? - yet it worked for Bo Didley. I guess it's a combination of gear, style, touch and what you get used to, or something like that.

cheers,

bruce in calgary

PQ: "That thing will never get better if you pick at it."

[name removed] <example@example.com> wrote:

Not to take anything away from old Mark Knob
Gobbler! He has got some incredible chops (though i
do find him a little on the middle of the road side of
things). If all us axe men/gals had the loot to buy
those guitars and amps of that era and in that kind of
shape we could all achieve some serious sweet tone.

Now i have some good gear of my own though the
other day while doing some recording for a friend
i was able to borrow, a late 1950's Gretsch and both
Fender Deluxe and Champ amps of the same era.
And the tone improvement was just something else.
The point i make is i have spent several grand on my
axes and gear though as close as i can get is late
sixties/ seventies models in my collection. If i had
the 10's of thousands to spend on real classic gear
(like those other cats can) my tone would be up there
too (only god or some greater force could get my
playing up to that standard!) though getting great tone
goes along way to achieving some of this.

>From: Bruce Robertson
>To: Michael
>CC: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
>Subject: Re: [Powderworks] new music recommendations.... NMOC
>Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:15:42 -0400 (EDT)
>
>Loud amen to Michael's words below. There is a fluidity and grace to MK's
>playing that does steal the heart with a single lick...the album mentioned
>is among my favourites too. Much to celebrate with James Taylor and Van
>Morrison making vocal appearances. But it's about tone eh, with MK coaxing
>the sweetest sounds ever from a 59 blonde 335 straight into a Fender
>Bassman of the same vintage (no doubt a bit of reverb splashed in at the
>board.) And his legendary strat tone stands alone. It does tend to run off
>with the heart, as Michael mentioned in his post. What a master.
>
>cheers,
>
>bruce
>
>Michael wrote:
>
>And lastely something you might NOT like, but I think is one of the best
>albums of the last 3 years. Mark Knopfler "Sailing to Philidelphia".
>Listening to the way he makes his guitar sing on that album almost makes me
>want to cry.

---------------------------------

--0-198719570-1062780538=:56857

<DIV>Hello again fiends and zebras,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Regarding the price of good gear and lack of access to it for average bums like most of us: it is pitifully ironic&nbsp;when the only people who can afford the really good stuff are the rich players who would sound great on almost any guitar. I don't begrudge these cats the right to play what they play, but we're entitled to be a wee bit envious eh?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>As for the 'collectors' who lock beautiful guitars up in safety deposit boxes or glass cases as 'investments' -- the same type of eco-nits who buy gas guzzling off-road SUV's then epuip them with high performance street tires and rims...sheister!...then there are the poser types who strap them on for the camera but couldn't manage a decent sounding grip if Segovia himself tutored them, some even having the nerve to smash perfectly good guitars in public view and think it's cool! How do these people&nbsp;keep from&nbsp;killing themselves?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Sorry! - just getting caught up on posts from the summer, and had to respond to some of Damien's comments, especially the cheeky ones&nbsp;- old Mark Knob Gobbler indeed! His gear is a large part of his tone, for sure. And there's no doubt that playing great classic gear does make a body play longer and better. Some stuff just sounds great, period.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>But I've also experienced the opposite with certain amps. Some real classics that have been played by masters make me sound even more sloppy and hideous than I do through my own humble rig....I'm thinking of something like the highly esteemed Dumble Overdrive Special. It makes guys like Robben Ford sound brilliant, but a lesser player may suck worse than normal through it. And what could possibly possess anyone to make a career out of playing rock n roll guitar through a Roland JC120? - yet it worked for Bo Didley. I guess it's a combination of gear, style, touch and what you get used to, or something like that.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>cheers,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>bruce in calgary</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>PQ: "That thing will never get better if you pick at it."</DIV>
<DIV><BR><B><I>[name removed] &lt;example@example.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"><BR>Not to take anything away from old Mark Knob<BR>Gobbler! He has got some incredible chops (though i<BR>do find him a little on the middle of the road side of<BR>things). If all us axe men/gals had the loot to buy<BR>those guitars and amps of that era and in that kind of<BR>shape we could all achieve some serious sweet tone.<BR><BR>Now i have some good gear of my own though the<BR>other day while doing some recording for a friend<BR>i was able to borrow, a late 1950's Gretsch and both<BR>Fender Deluxe and Champ amps of the same era.<BR>And the tone improvement was just something else.<BR>The point i make is i have spent several grand on my<BR>axes and gear though as close as i can get is late<BR>sixties/ seventies models in my collection. If i had<BR>the 10's of thousands to spend on real classic gear<BR>(like those other cats can) my tone would be up there<BR>too (only god or some
 greater force could get my<BR>playing up to that standard!) though getting great tone<BR>goes along way to achieving some of this.<BR><BR>&gt;From: Bruce Robertson <THE_OIL_FISH@YAHOO.CA><BR>&gt;To: Michael <MBTIGGER@CHARTER.NET><BR>&gt;CC: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu<BR>&gt;Subject: Re: [Powderworks] new music recommendations.... NMOC<BR>&gt;Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:15:42 -0400 (EDT)<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Loud amen to Michael's words below. There is a fluidity and grace to MK's <BR>&gt;playing that does steal the heart with a single lick...the album mentioned <BR>&gt;is among my favourites too. Much to celebrate with James Taylor and Van <BR>&gt;Morrison making vocal appearances. But it's about tone eh, with MK coaxing <BR>&gt;the sweetest sounds ever from a 59 blonde 335 straight into a Fender <BR>&gt;Bassman of the same vintage (no doubt a bit of reverb splashed in at the <BR>&gt;board.) And his legendary strat tone stands alone. It does tend to run off <BR>&gt;with the heart, as
--0-198719570-1062780538=:56857--