Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Willie's Bar & Grill

Jeff and Jane Scott jscott@iinet.net.au
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 16:45:17 +0800

[mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu]On Behalf Of Kate Parker Adams
>Sent: Tuesday, 7 October 2003 9:31 AM
>To: Virgil Thomas Alexander Morant
>Cc: Powderworks
>Subject: Re: [Powderworks] Willie's Bar & Grill>
>

>At 08:22 PM 10/6/03 -0400, Virgil Thomas Alexander Morant wrote:
>
>For instance, at the beginning of the chapter "The night they drove old
Dixie down" Hirst puts an epitaph from Kosciuszcko, >which seems fitting for
a chapter that seems to be about life south of the Mason-Dixon.  I would
guess, though, that very >>>few outside of Australia have any idea what this
song is all about.

>I haven't read the book, but I did know who Kosciuszko was when I first
heard the song. My father, a history buff who >trained himself to be a civil
engineer while working as a laborer on road building crews, holds the great
man in very high >esteem.

which probably just underlines Virgil's point - the song is about the
mountain, not the man!

jeff...