Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Workers Jobs

Sharon Nearhoof May nearhoofmay at cox.net
Sat Nov 1 09:19:54 MST 2003

I teach Earth Science to high school kids (grades 9-12 in every class)
in inner-city Phoenix, Arizona.  I'm in my first year of teaching,
after starting out my career as a research geologist and then going to
seminary and pastoring churches for 8 years.  I switched to teaching
because  I loved working with teenagers and I missed living in the
world of science.  I took a major pay cut (who thought I could find a
job that payed LESS than the ministry!!) but I love teaching!!!  It's
the hardest job I've ever had in a lot of ways but its the best job
I've ever had. We're just finishing astronomy and will start geology &
plate tectonics in about two weeks.  I teach earth science in the
Sonoran Desert, 3 hours away from the Grand Canyon in one of the best
states for geology in the US.  I can't believe they pay me to do this!

Sharon Nearhoof May
Phoenix, AZ USA