Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC What's on your bookshelves?

Beth Curran bcurran@columbus.rr.com
Fri, 23 May 2003 22:18:27 -0400

Funny, this was so much easier than picking songs.......

Lord of the Rings (is there anyone who won't cite that?)
Anything by Jane Austen
Anything by Carson McCullers
Alice/Looking Glass
And the most important comes last:  The Mismeasure of Man by Stephen Jay
Gould.  If you're not familiar with this, it's a fascinating history of
racism and sexism in the study of human intelligence, and exposes the
basic fallacy of attempting to "measure" intelligence.  It points out
how science is influenced by the social context within which it's done.
You can't imagine how important this book has been to me, and how many
scars left over from childhood it erased.  If you have (or were) a
gifted child, I beg you to read this book.  OK, I'll shut up now - Beth