Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Cover songs

Heidi Shenk nedkellytheking@hotmail.com
Thu, 22 May 2003 23:19:08 -0500

I can name quite a few that the Oils (or any other decent band) should NEVER
cover.  I know that this is completely horrible to even come to mind, but
the Oils being a five person group...no matter how funny this would be to
see, should never cover anything by N'Sync.  For that matter any shit pop
music like that should be entirely banned from our world in the first place.
  The horrible idea of this popped into my head when I thought that both
groups have five members...oh horrors!!!!!!!  Help me please to get the
mental picture out of my head!!!!!!!!!!  They should also never cover any of
those classic cover songs that bands always play in bars....this includes
Stairway to Heaven, Freebird, anything by the Eagles...yeah you get the
picture.  I think that I'll be sick if I have to hear any of those songs one
more time.  My dad has been in a band off and on since I was very little and
I've heard him play those songs one too many times cause some idiot at the
gigs always has to request one of those songs.

Ok...on to what should be covered.  How bout something by the Rolling
Stones.  While it may not be entirely creative, some of those songs have
such great energy and the Oils being such a high energy band, I think it
might work out ok...I suppose that it might be too cliched though.
Something like Sister Morphine by the Stones might be cool though...or how
bout Gimme Shelter (I'll volunteer to sing the Grace Slick part!!!! :-D )
Another thing that I've always loved about the Oils is their harmonies so
maybe if they wanted to get really really creative and test their vocals
they could go for something by Crosby, Stills and Nash.  Don't know how it'd
sound, but it could be interesting.  I guess if they picked one of CSN's
songs that has enough edge to it it could be really cool.  It would also be
cool to hear them do some more bluesy stuff...maybe some Clapton, Hendrix or
Stevie Ray Vaughan.  While none of these songs from any of the artists I
mentioned would really be much in the style of the Oils, I think that it
could be really cool and interesting to hear them try and tackle any of
these.  Ok...those are just my ideas.

Heidi

'Put down that weapon or we'll all be gone,
I must know something to know it's so wrong'
                    -Midnight Oil