Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] More on untrained singers

Randy Van Vliet bigdaddyrv@yahoo.com
Mon, 19 May 2003 14:55:35 -0700 (PDT)

I also am no musician (not by a long shot), but I do
attend classical music performances (symphonies,
ballets, etc) fairly regulary with my wife and/or kids
and even I can tell a structure departure from a non
structured one.  One of the features of our local
symphony is a Young American Composer program.  Over
the years it has been interesting to hear work from
someone who took an accepted musical style and went
off on their own from one who set out to write
whatever came off his pen with no regard to context.
The former is very easy to listen to and to enjoy
while the latter is almost impossible to listen to.
Very discordant and (it seems to me) clashing for the
sake of clashing.  I fully support being a rebel, but
be a rebel with a cause.

Randy

ps Beth, how can you go to Cedar Point and not ride
the biggest and scariest Roller Coaster ever???  I'd
drive to Ohio just to ride it if my wife whould let me
(something about clothes and food for the kids, I
don't know...).