Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] More on untrained singers

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Fri, 16 May 2003 12:52:24 -0400 (EDT)

--0-1095750134-1053103944=:18543

Greetings Cyber Chums,

Regarding Damien's comments about rules in music, or how to poke a cornered wombat with a sharp stick:

Without rules of some sort to begin with, then isn't improvisation meaningless? Charlie Parker's playing wouldn't be described by many as sterile and lifeless, and it was his ability to transcend the form while remaining rooted in it that was his particular genius was it not?

I think the rules are always implied in any genre. That's what makes  creativity possible, and improv. interesting. Otherwise it's a cacophony, which may have its place in a general category of 'interesting sounds' or within music to add colour or quality. But I question whether musical creativity is even possible without some kind of discipline within which to work and from which to depart.

I agree too much formal training can suck the life out of any musician. But I'd give my ear lobes for the chops of some of those classically trained cats, or those old time jazz players.

Well, I'm off to flail away on a Danelectro with an arrowhead flint, breaking rules and strings in a mostly a-musical frenzy.

ch'ears,

bruce in calgary

[name removed] <example@example.com> wrote:

if you listen
to anything off the Dreaming there is no rules
applied anywhere!.

 Art of any
kind should have no rules!!!!

constantly reminds me how shallow and lifeless
Jazz and other formal musical styles often are.

---------------------------------

--0-1095750134-1053103944=:18543

<DIV>Greetings Cyber Chums,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Regarding Damien's comments about rules in music, or how to poke a cornered wombat with a sharp stick:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Without rules of some sort to begin with, then isn't improvisation meaningless? Charlie Parker's playing wouldn't be described by many as sterile and lifeless, and it was his ability to transcend the form while remaining rooted in it that was his particular genius was it not?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I think the rules are always implied in any genre. That's what makes&nbsp; creativity possible, and improv. interesting. Otherwise it's a&nbsp;cacophony, which may have its place in a&nbsp;general category of 'interesting sounds' or within music to add colour or quality. But I question whether musical creativity is even possible without some kind of discipline within which to work and from which to depart.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I agree too much formal training can suck the life out of any musician. But I'd give my ear lobes for the chops of some of those classically trained cats, or those old time jazz players.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Well, I'm off to flail away on a Danelectro with an arrowhead flint, breaking rules and strings in a mostly a-musical frenzy.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>ch'ears,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>bruce in calgary</DIV>