Midnight Oil

FW: [Powderworks] Jim's singing

Jonathan & Julie Hart midnightoil@videotron.ca
Tue, 13 May 2003 23:18:01 -0400

Jim's voice, while good, is IMHO definitely not good enough to be a lead
singer.  He doesn't have enough power in his voice.  When he sings lead,
it sounds like he's singing with his throat as opposed to with his
diaphragm.  It works for Smash the Wobbleboard, but otherwise, I don't
think it's suitable.

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu
[mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu] On Behalf Of Bjorn Blomquist
Sent: May 13, 2003 6:33 AM
To: 'Beth Curran'
Cc: Oilheads
Subject: SV: [Powderworks] Jim's singing

> Can anybody verify for me that Jim CAN sing well enough to
> sing lead? I've never heard the Fuzzface EP, so I don't even
> know if he sings on that, and I've never been able to pick
> him out in any of the MO songs, except that little bit of the
> FOTT remix of BSM - hardly a properly representative sample. - Beth

Jim sings all four songs on the Fuzzface EP (and plays most of the
instruments himself too), read about it here:
http://www.krustyfries.com/fuzzface/
Maybe the Fuzzface songs are available on any of the FTP servers?

He also sings lead on the b-side "Smash the wobbleboard" (on the single
"Underwater").

You sure have got the 'Redneck Wonderland' album, and on that you can
hear Jim sing the choruses of "Return to sender" and "Great gibber
plain" (at least that's what I think...).

He may not have such a good voice as Bones and Rob, but I definitely
think it's good enough for lead vocals (although sometimes a little out
of tune). Many rock bands have lead singers worse than Jim (one example:
U2)!

/Bjorn