Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC: Sustainable Living

Kate Parker Adams kate@dnki.net
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:22:05 -0400

At 11:27 AM 6/28/03 -0700, James Warren wrote:
>Just bring the discussion down to the more earthy level:  how do I as an
>environmentalist feel about  the contradictions inherent in working in a
>world whose institutions demand that I "consume, embellish, discard, and
>expire?"

I think you have to start with the old "things I can't change, things I can
change, wisdom to understand the difference" saw.  If you realize that you
are not any more at fault for the state of the world than the next person
(provided the "next person" isn't Dick Cheney ...), then the either
paralyzing or sanctimonious notions of eco-perfection drop by the wayside.

Once you let yourself off the hook on a personal level, then some real work
can get done.  While you can't change what you inherited, you can change
where you go from there.  Individuals didn't screw up the planet, societies
have and that is the level at which you must think in order to improve
sustainable practices. I used to have discussions with my radical niece
about how you might ultimately save a lot more animals and damage much less
of the environment by convincing a lot of mainstream folks to eat less meat
than you will in creating a handful of strict vegans.

On the individual level, continuous improvement is a much more appropriate
goal than purity.  Organizing or participating in local initiatives spreads
the concepts you play with.  You can walk or bike the kids to school, but
it is much better for the community to work to make it easier for all kids
to get to school without cars being involved - and raise awareness of the
problems that car drop-offs cause (bad school air quality, congestion,
accidents, etc.).  You can tear up a dying, chemical and water dependent
lawn and put in a garden matched to your climate.  Appalled neighbors will
make the paradigm shift and start asking about the flowers when water bans
and droughts kill their monoscapes or they have to mow on a hot day and you
are sipping lemonade in an untended garden run riot.  Make it clear that it
is possible to have the things you value, but it is not necessary to do
them in thoughless or conventional ways that cause a great deal of damage
to the air and earth and water that sustain us.  Demonstrate and experiment
on your own turf, hold fast when the Joneses think you are nuts, and then
share the word - and the bounty.

I'm sure there are many other ways to make peace with yourself and the
planet within the web of an instant-gratification and personal-control
society.  Trying to take control and insisting on instant gratification is
not one of them.  Forgiving yourself for not running or controlling the
world, understanding that you really can't anyway, and then getting on with
what you can do to push the workings of this chaos in positive directions
is an important first step.

Back to harvest some peapods from that organic garden ... and share them
with the neighbors,
Kate