Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] dead heart/lucky country

Erin Oneill Erin.Oneill@newcastle.edu.au
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:01:26 +1000

--Boundary_(ID_bHhIYakhJQkrb1GsovAXBQ)

For a long time the interior of oz has been known as the dead heart of =
australia (anything but dead if you know what to look for).  That term has =
been around for many many years .  If I remember correctly, Lucky Country =
was the name given to a book (forgotten the author) - it was meant in =
irony.
Watching the city people finally wake up to (and use) the names and terms =
we have been using for years in the bush is quite funny.  It's like they =
have finally discovered the wheel.
With regards to my comments earlier about PG.  I have a great deal of =
respect for the band (but lets keep it in perspective - they have wroked =
very hard over the years - but have they worked any harder and do they =
deserve any more than all the people working for other causes, or those =
who have to care for disabled relatives full time with precious few =
resources, or those on the front line of drug and alcohol abuse, or those =
who are trying to put together their lives after systematic abuse and =
neglect?), but I accept their limitations as people and musicians.  I'm =
not going to put them (or anyone else) up on a pedestal - it is unkind, as =
in time the only thing that will happen is that they will fall or be =
knocked off.  I do think that Pete should not have accepted the queens =
birthday honour on principle (Truganini anyone?).  Paul Keating (former =
Prime Minister) was pro-republican and said no to the honour he was given =
on principle. I know that they are given to Australians by Australians, =
but they are given in the Queens name.  A Queen the band has rejected in =
the past.  However I accept that amongst some people on the list, such an =
opinion amounts to heresy.

Batten down the hatches....

Cheerio,
Erin.

--Boundary_(ID_bHhIYakhJQkrb1GsovAXBQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2716.2200" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt Microsoft Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT=
: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>For a long time the interior of oz has been known as =
the dead=20
heart of australia (anything but dead if you know what to look for).&nbsp; =
That=20
term has been around for many many years .&nbsp; If I remember correctly, =
Lucky=20
Country was the name given to a book (forgotten the author) - it was meant =
in=20
irony.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Watching the city people finally wake up to (and use) =
the=20
names and terms we have been using for years in the bush is quite =
funny.&nbsp;=20
It's like they have finally discovered the wheel.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>With regards to my comments earlier about PG.&nbsp; I =
have a=20
great deal of respect for the band (but lets keep it in perspective - they =
have=20
wroked very hard over the years - but have they worked any harder and do =
they=20
deserve any more than all the people working for other causes, or those =
who have=20
to care for disabled relatives full time with precious few resources, or =
those=20
on the front line of drug and alcohol abuse, or those who are trying to =
put=20
together their lives after systematic abuse and neglect?), but I accept =
their=20
limitations as people and musicians.&nbsp; I'm not going to put them (or =
anyone=20
else) up on a pedestal - it is unkind, as in time the only thing that =
will=20
happen is that they will fall or be knocked off.&nbsp; I do think that =
Pete=20
should not have accepted the queens birthday honour on principle (Truganini=
=20
anyone?).&nbsp; Paul Keating (former Prime Minister)&nbsp;was pro-republica=
n and=20
said no to the honour he was given on principle. I know that they are =
given to=20
Australians by Australians, but they are given in the Queens name.&nbsp; A =
Queen=20
the band has rejected in the past.&nbsp; However I accept that amongst =
some=20
people on the list, such an opinion amounts to heresy.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Batten down the hatches....</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Cheerio,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Erin.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_bHhIYakhJQkrb1GsovAXBQ)--