Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Continuing with the Band

Janice Coleman jec_coleman@hotmail.com
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:30:49 -0400

I have been reading a number of powderworkers' discussions about the band
breaking up, etc.  Here are my thoughts:

For me, Peter Garrett is the frontman of the band.  No, he is not THE band,
but he definately has a very unique voice which lets you know it's Midnight
Oil as soon as you hear the voice.  You can't necessarily say that about the
music -- for most any band for that matter.  Yes, the music has a distinct
sound to it, but the voice is the most distinct. I know (as Midnight Oil is
my favorite group) that I would recognize the music for the most part if I
heard a new song and didn't know prior it was them, but the casual Midnight
Oil listener probably wouldn't.  In fact, unless you are a musician, I think
it's not so easy to tell style differences. Just my opinion.

I am happy that the band will play on, however, I feel it will not be the
same without Peter.  I love Ghostwriters.  I think they have a unique sound
themselves.  I  feel that the musicians in Midnight Oil are fantastic,
talented and unique enough to play on, however, I don't feel they will be
Midnight Oil anymore. So, maybe become something different and great in
their own right.  Bones and Rob have great voices, so I am sure I will love
the "new" band.  But, once again, it won't be the same band.

As for the people who said Peter was unfriendly, my experience with him
proves otherwise.  He was extremely nice, he listened well, and he was very
engaging.  Rob was the same.  In fact, they all were great.  I just have a
special place in my heart for Peter.

Janice