Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] What got you started?

Kate Parker Adams kate@dnki.net
Tue, 03 Jun 2003 15:44:38 -0400

I must admit that I am a relative late comer to oilfandom, given my age at
least.  I got started with a pair of jumper cables previously kept in the
trunk, unseen.

It was late in 1992.  I was between jobs, taking classes, enjoying the last
of a generous severance package and in the general situation of figuring
out my next move.  I knew that I didn't want to stay in engineering
consulting.  I was exploring my spirituality. I was questioning most
everything about my life, trying hard to find a better way to live as it
was the first time I had ever had the security and discretion to make such
conscious decisions.

I was driving down the road at midday just before Thanksgiving, can't
exactly remember why.  For various specific personal reasons I won't get
into, a song I must have heard a thousand times before scored a direct
hit.  I knew the lyrics, but this time I really listened to them.  The song
burrowed into my brain and expanded there in such a way that it has never
left.  That was the beginning, the event zero of Oilfandom for me, silly as
it may sound.

That weekend I bought BSM and D&D.  I couldn't stop listening to them,
lyric sheets in hand.  I'd heard Blue Sky Mine and The Dead Heart and Beds
are Burning many many times before, but now they and their companion songs
had taken on a whole new life.  D&D evoked memories of a childhood spent in
dry, dusty places.  A week or two later I scrounged up copies of a couple
of others and continued collecting.  Each new album brought a new hunger
for more.  It was like someone handed me a roadmap to the soul and a set of
keys. I bought ES&M the day it came out.  By the next August I was three
rows from stage at Great Woods for the famous triple bill with Hothouse
Flowers and Ziggy Marley.  One live show and the hook was set forever.

I think it is the combination of the driving and moving music and the
incredible lyrics that have pulled me in and taken me somewhere I might not
otherwise have headed.  I go through phases of listening to the Oils, but I
always come back when I need to motivate myself to do something I feel is
important, something I need to throw my heart and soul into.  The music
always seems to pickup and get moving, to go somewhere, to become active ...

Oil songs resonate with my most deeply held values and sometimes bounce off
stuff in the old mental attic that I didn't even know was there.  I am
forever finding new stuff in old lyrics, sometimes because of where I am in
my life and sometimes because my perspective has changed.  Like when I
recently found myself listening to One Country over and over, only to
figure out that it was because of the important things it has to say about
living a life in balance:

	Who hands out equal rights?
	Who starts and ends that fight?
	And not rant and rave
	Or become a slave

That lyric had not made much sense to my conscious mind before.  I had been
running myself into exhaustion and One Country helped me realize how I
risked becoming like a number of activists that I really do not like if I
kept up such an insane pace - people who are cynical, judgemental, bossy,
single-minded, arrogantly expert yet blind, unwilling to understand or
consider the perspective of others, neglectful of their families, etc.  The
Oils have never gone there and, hopefully, neither will I.

I won't say that I migrated away from amoral engineering business
consulting for corporate and government clients of lacking virtue toward a
career involving activist environmental and social justice pursuits simply
because I followed the Oils.  I will say that I have been inspired and
motivated and coached along that path through my interaction with their
work.  Shaking my booty to the driving beat and surfy guitars all the
while, the music carrying the message through my body and soul with a great
life energy. I climb the music toward the sun like my roses climb the wall,
like pea vines climb the garden fence.