Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Why did I get into Oils?

gfmcdowell@getatlas.com gfmcdowell@getatlas.com
Sun, 01 Jun 2003 22:13:34 -0500

Hi all,

Thought I'd drag myself out of lurker mode, too.  I've been listening
to MP3 CD of all the Oils albums (set to random mode) all day long.

The first time I encountered the Oils was Bed Are Burning.  Okay,
probably not as cool as being the first one in line to buy 10-1, but
I was only ten years old at the time.  I saw the video on MTV on
morning and remember being scarred of Peter for just a second (the
dancing) until I listened to his voice a little more.  So for me it
was definitely Pete's voice that hooked me.  After the video, I
learned that the song was something of a hit (being as ignorant of
what's popular as I still am, I need to be told these things).  That
meant I could probably find it on the radio, so I did every chance I
got.  At the time I wasn't buying to many tapes (remember those?), so
it was a couple of years before I bought my first Oils tape.  Blue
Sky was on MTV, so I scrapped the cash together to buy it, only to
find out the video had come out before the album.  So I bought Diesel
and Dust and listened to it obsessively.  I bought the rest as
quickly as I could and gave them the same treatment.

I did an in-depth report on Progress in eight grade.  It didn't help
that I had chosen an overtly political song by an Australian band
during the days of Vanilla Ice and Poison.  It also didn't help that
the name of the band could be badly misconstrued by the junior high
mind-set.  But I've gladly carried on.

I narrowly missed the famous Exxon show.  My Art Club went on a field
trip to New York just a day or two beforehand.  The bus took us by
the Radio City marquee with their name on it and I groaned to be that
close.  That's still the closest I've gotten to seeing them. :-(

One thing I've always found odd is that I have never liked a Midnight
Oil album on my first listen.  It's only after a few listens that it
sinks in for me and I have to revise my list of favorite albums
again.

Although it was Pete's voice that got me first, the rest of the music
has ingrained itself on me ever since.  I hope the rest of the band
does carry on without him, because they have a lot to offer.
Lyrically, musically, politically, Midnight Oil is my favorite band
and probably will continue to be, even if they never release another
song.

slainte,
Gerry