Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] What got you started?

simon tracy plumpandmoist@yahoo.com.au
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:39:42 +1000 (EST)

 --- jr3 <spoon.surfer@verizon.net> wrote: >
> I suppose this is pretty redundant so please accept
> apologies, but what/where/when/why (any combination)
> did you get started on the Oils trek?  Any takers?

I can truely say that my first Oils gig in 1985 was
one of those few seminal moments you can have in your
lifetime. Albury, to those who don't know, is a large
rural backwater just past West Bubble Fuck on the NSW
and Victoria border. Music was a combination of The
Eagles on repeat and whatever else could fill up the
spaces in between on the local AM station. There was
no Triple J or Rage back then, so exposure to quality
music was minimal let alone getting gigs of any
description. Then suddenly in 1985 the floodgates
opened and we got INXS, Hoodoo Guru's, the (ahem)
Uncanny XMen... and Midnight Oil came to town, and I
can honestly say my life was altered from then. There
was no line between performer and audience, they
picked us up and flogged us for over 2 hours before
dumping us sweaty and horse and sore and completely
different people. It still lives as one of the "Top 5
Greatest Gigs" list. Sometimes, when I see the old
footage of the Oils I still get the goosbumps.

=====
By order of the Dark Shadow.