Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] What got you started?

jr3 spoon.surfer@verizon.net
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 13:30:44 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C32842.00FB5610

That little (er...) discourse between Sebastian and Stephen piqued my =
interest.  Thought I'd take a shot at breaking out of lurker mode with =
something.

My first discovery of the Oils was hearing P&P on the radio in Seattle =
in 1982.  Had moved back the year before and was working on a band =
project with a couple friends.  We did a lot of different material as =
well as our own and paid a good deal of attention to "alternative".  I =
was always looking for good new stuff on 107.7/The End and local college =
radio.

I clearly recall being struck by the "whole package" of that song the =
first time I heard it.  That opening guitar/bass riff, the =
drums/percussion, Pete's vocal, the chorus vocal, the lyrics, the =
dynamics, the horns at the end, just the whole concept really... =
something special was there, at least to my ear. The rest of our band =
were uneasy about taking up the call, but I persisted until we worked up =
a cover version, admittedly somewhat lame to start, but it got better. =
Because it was different and powerful I thought it was great challenge =
and a lot of fun, but because of our "democratic" approach we never had =
the collective balls to really play it out much for people before we =
parted ways.  Probably wise I suppose.

Of course, figuring out how to pay respect to Pete's vocal style can be =
awfully tough - that unique quality that helped put the stamp of =
authenticity on Oils work (and the heart of the "S vs.S dialogue" that =
caught my attention).

When I got my hands on 10-to-1 I was hooked for good.  PWAP was the same =
thing. When I went back to the original MO release it was all there =
again, maybe not as refined.  On it went through Red Sails, Species, D&D =
and on.  For me it's always been the unique and striking blend of =
personality, musicianship and message that these guys have managed to =
generate.  They're also such accessible blokes as well - everyday =
people.  All part of the package.

I suppose this is pretty redundant so please accept apologies, but =
what/where/when/why (any combination) did you get started on the Oils =
trek?  Any takers?

John
------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C32842.00FB5610

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>That little (er...) discourse between =
Sebastian and=20
Stephen piqued&nbsp;my interest.&nbsp; Thought I'd&nbsp;take a shot at =
breaking=20
out of lurker mode with something.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My first discovery of the Oils was =
hearing P&amp;P=20
on the radio in Seattle in 1982.&nbsp; Had moved back&nbsp;the year=20
before&nbsp;and was working on a band&nbsp;project with a couple =
friends.&nbsp;=20
We&nbsp;did a&nbsp;lot of different material&nbsp;as well as our own and =
paid a=20
good&nbsp;deal of attention to "alternative".&nbsp; I was always looking =
for=20
good new stuff&nbsp;on 107.7/The End and local college =
radio.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I clearly recall&nbsp;being struck by =
the "whole=20
package" of that song the first time I heard it.&nbsp;&nbsp;That opening =

guitar/bass riff, the drums/percussion, Pete's vocal, the chorus vocal, =
the=20
lyrics, the dynamics, the horns at the end, just the whole&nbsp;concept=20
really... something special was&nbsp;there, at least to my=20
ear.&nbsp;The&nbsp;rest of&nbsp;our&nbsp;band were uneasy about taking =
up the=20
call, but I persisted until we worked up a&nbsp;cover version, =
admittedly=20
somewhat lame to start, but it got better.&nbsp;Because it was different =
and=20
powerful I thought it was great&nbsp;challenge and a lot of =
fun,&nbsp;but=20
because of our "democratic" approach we never had the collective balls =
to really=20
play it out much for people before&nbsp;we parted ways.&nbsp; Probably =
wise I=20
suppose.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Of course,&nbsp;figuring out how to pay =
respect to=20
Pete's vocal style&nbsp;can be&nbsp;awfully tough - that unique quality =
that=20
helped put the stamp of authenticity&nbsp;on Oils work (and the heart of =
the "S=20
vs.S dialogue" that caught my attention).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>When I got my hands on 10-to-1 I was =
hooked for=20
good.&nbsp;&nbsp;PWAP was the same thing. When I went back to the =
original MO=20
release it was all there again,&nbsp;maybe not as refined.&nbsp; On it =
went=20
through Red Sails, Species, D&amp;D and on. &nbsp;For me it's always =
been the=20
unique and striking&nbsp;blend of personality, musicianship and message =
that=20
these guys have managed to generate.&nbsp;&nbsp;They're also such =
accessible=20
blokes as well -&nbsp;everyday people.&nbsp; All part of the=20
package.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I suppose this is pretty redundant so =
please accept=20
apologies, but what/where/when/why (any combination)&nbsp;did you get =
started on=20
the Oils&nbsp;trek?&nbsp; Any takers?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>John</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C32842.00FB5610--