Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Train crash on Sydney to Wollongong line

Karena Hoyer karena@between2shores.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:51:57 +0000

Hi everyone,

Bad news from my section of the world today, a southbound train from Sydney
on the way to Wollongong derailed and the front smashed into a power pole
just south of Waterfall station before 7:30am. Thankfully it was a
southbound train - if it was a northbound, hundreds of people would be
dead/injured, including myself. So far 7 people are confirmed dead.

If this had of happened 12 hours ago, with the Sydney-Wollongong commuters
heading home it would've been a larger disaster.

My train, and many others had to stop because the power was lost. There
would be about 4 trains stuck with people in them because of the power loss.
The train line will not be re-opened today at this stage. So if you're like
me and have to get back to the Gong tonight, if you've made it to work at
all so far, you'll be catching a bus.

I only hope no-one on any of these lists has lost a relative or friend in
this disaster. Every Wollongong commuter is feeling sick to their stomachs
today, but thanking our lucky stars, we all know it could have been any one
of us in this position.

Karena

<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<P><FONT color=#ff3333>Check out Between Two Shores for heaps of info on
heaps of Australasian bands - </FONT><A
href="http://www.between2shores.com/"><FONT
color=#ff3333>www.between2shores.com</FONT></A></P>
<P><STRONG>Buy Mental As Anything's new album "Road Case" when it comes
out&nbsp;on November 11&nbsp;- not just because you'll like it - but because
they're used MY photos in the CD insert! Yay! - and no I'm not getting a
dollar for every album they sell from this! Damn! hahahhaha!<A
href="http://www.mentals.com.au">www.mentals.com.au</A></STRONG></P>
<P><STRONG>Check out Jenny Morris' website for the latest on her new album
Hit &amp; Myth - released August 5 2002. <A
href="http://www.jennymorris.com/">www.jennymorris.com</A></STRONG></P></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></html>