Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Disc Copying.

mbachelo@att.net mbachelo@att.net
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 17:37:29 +0000

Greeetings again all!

I came across a few things I thought I might share with the group. I was
involved in a discussion on a message board, with some very technically minded
people (I am only slightly technicaly minded - these people were way out of my
league!). These people made a convincing argument about a problem with the
Audio CD format. As one of the first formats made for CD's it was never meant
to be copied using a computer, and can be more prone to error during
duplication than other formats. Problems tend to occur during the READING of a
CD. Listening to a clean copy, one might not notice anything. But as errors
compund during copying and listening, pops and silences can become noticeable.

It's a plausible story, and the occasional POP I hear on a CD makes me think
they have a point. They recommened a Program called Exact Audio Copy. (URL
Below) which has improved error detection for reading audio CD's. According to
these people using EAC to copy the CD contents to a hard drive as Wav files,
and burning the WAVs to a disc produces a better copy than "On the Fly"
(Direct disc to disc) copy.

Here are a couple links to check out EAC. So far I have used EAC for my last
CD copy. I ripped files from the Disc using EAC and burned the files using
NERO. I could not tell a difference - But maybe someone a few generations down
the disc's life will notice. Unless it's all a bunch of **** and the gullible
dope that I am - I have fallen for it!

Anyway - Here are some URL's

http://www.ping.be/satcp/tutorials.htm