Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Capricornia Dreaming

pete mellor pete_mellor@hotmail.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 18:41:01 +0000

Found this on the web somewhere (australian musician magazine?) apologies if
this has appeared before. I was searching for something about what guitars
the boys generally play. All I seem to be able to find is that Jim plays a
Gretsch. Does anyone know which Gretsch in particular? Also while we are on
the subject does anyone know what type of acoustic Jim plays Diesel and Dust
era and on MTV unplugged... a small acoustic with a Fender style head? Any
sharp eyed guitar techies out there could really help me out.

Pete

PS Hope everyone down in Oz is safe from those fires in Canberra.

Capricornia Dreaming

When Midnight Oil played a handful of shows at the Sydney Metro and the
Melbourne Forum in mid-February, two things were clear. The audience, once
mostly sweaty males with one hand wrapped around a beer can and the other
clenched fisted in the air as they’d yell "Oiyls! Oiyls! Oiyls!", had more
females.

Secondly, without losing their anger or passion, the Oils have streamlined
as a more melodic force. This is obvious on songs from the new "Capricornia"
album, like the "Golden Age" single, "Too Much Sunshine" and the poignant
"Luritja Way". Possibly it’s the realisation of how the older melodic
numbers like "Short Memory" and "Dead Heart" have become more powerful
through the years. Whatever it is, this comes at a time when the Oils go
through another golden period.

Last year, they returned to America after seven years to find that the
college audience — whose elder brothers and sisters in 1987 put "Beds Are
Burning" in the US Top 20 — was still awaiting them. For much of this year,
the Oils will be playing in the northern hemisphere. They’ve got a new US
record deal there, Liquid8, run by former Sony executive Nathan Munoz who
helped them set up that famous street gig outside the Exxon Corporation
offices in New York for their oil spill in North America.

Without meaning to be, "Capricornia" has the same spirit as the classic
"Diesel And Dust" album (1987). That came on the heels of the "Blackfellas
Whitefellas" tour with the Warumpi Band. Many of the songs came from sitting
around the campfire, and being exposed to the ups (the spirituality and
strength of the people) and downs (glue sniffing, unbelievable poverty) of
the outback.

Before work began on "Capricornia", the Oils made a three-day trek back to
the small Aboriginal community of Papunya in the central desert. Sammy
Butcher, guitarist with the Warumpi Band, was running the community and the
tribal elders were happy to allow these whitefellas to camp there.

It was July 2000. It was just the Oils and their manager, going out to work
out some issues without distractions. One of these was whether to accept the
invitation to play the closing ceremony of the Olympics a few months later.
It was here that the decision was made to wear clothes covered with SORRY.
(Rob Hirst laughs loudly when he recalls that right until a few minutes
before they went on, some members were still wondering if what they were
doing was a good idea!)

They loaded the 4-wheel with beef, emu and buffalo steak, jammed on
acoustics ("songs by anyone called Neil...Murray, Finn, Young...") and set
up on the red dirt floor of the schoolhouse to play for the locals.
Guitarist Jim Moginie suggested the CD title from Xavier Herbert’s 1938
novel about white settlement of the Top End, and their clashes with the
First Australians. It was a school text book with vivid writing and
marvellous characters. Here the essence of "Luritja Way" (the Luritjas are
one of the three major tribes in the region) and "Capricornia" took shape,
while Moginie’s earlier written "Under The Overpass" fitted into the mood.

"It was a remarkable three days and nights," says Hirst. "Martin (Rotsey)
and I had been to Utopia, northeast of Alice, doing workshops with the kids
some months before. But it had been 15 years since the Oils did it together,
camping next to the McDonald Ranges."

Q: Would you agree ‘Capricornia’ is the most informal of the Oils albums?

A: "It’s approached similar to ‘Diesel’, another campfire album. It was made
with the same producer. Warne (Livesy) always gets myself, Bones (Hillman)
and Jim to sing a lot. He likes harmonies, he likes the arrangements neat,
and songs to be melodic. We took a few detours in the past — ‘Breathe’
(1996) was more atmospheric, recorded in Sydney and New Orleans, and
‘Redneck Wonderland’ (1998) in Melbourne but very much inspired by One
Nation madness — to get back to what the band sounds like when we get in a
room and play. You get Jim playing his Gretsch Rickenbacker in the right
speaker, Martin playing a Tele on the left, Bones and I barrelling through
the middle, and Pete right in the centre."

Q: Is it a case of all if you playing together and at the same time?

A: "Absolutely. ‘Mosquito March’ and ‘Under The Overpass’ were first takes,
and the others three or four takes. Not since ‘Diesel’ had the Oils prepared
an album so well. Last year we played for seven weeks through North America
and did some pubs around Melbourne and Sydney, so by the time we went into
Festival Studios, we knew the songs inside out. Festival Studios was a great
place where you could record a band looking at each other and playing, but
that’s gone, of course, like so many great studios. There are only a few
studios today where you get a room large enough for a band to play together
and eyeball each other."

Q: People forget that while the Oils are a loud "rawk" band, they were one
of the first Australian bands to use samplers and sequencers on "10, 9,
8..."

A: "Some of us had to be dragged kicking and screaming but you can use
combination of technology and really old valve amps and mics. This album
used valves and old desks, but Pro-Tools for arrangements."

Q: Do you spend any of your spare time reading magazines about instruments
or manuals about engineering?

A: "Absolutely not! I’d be the worst person to ask technical questions, with
the possible exception of Pete! I’ve remained remarkably dumb in the studio.
I prefer the instinctive approach, which is good or I’d be looking over the
shoulder of the producer and getting on his nerves. I get cabin fever in the
studio, so I prefer to go off on a fishing boat or have a surf."

Q: Having admitted to not being technical minded, this is the time to bring
out the questions about your gear.