Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] music magazines

Jeff Bond Jeff Bond" <jeffbond@mindspring.com
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 21:16:12 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01C2BA7F.D5732020

Heidi, you're exactly right.  Several years ago I gave up my Rolling =
Stone subscription because the publication drifted away from subject =
matter that interested me.  I wish they had expended as much energy =
producing their magazine as they did trying to convince me to =
resubscribe! =20

Rgrds, Jeff
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Heidi Shenk=20
  To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu=20
  Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2003 6:35 PM
  Subject: RE: [Powderworks] music magazines

  I'm not at all surprised that Rolling Stone has given little attention =
to=20
  the fact that something in the real music world even happened.  RS, =
which=20
  used to be a somewhat decent/controversial piece of journalism, has =
gone=20
  extremely downhill in the past several years. As far as I'm concerned, =
the=20
  magazine has gone from a rock and roll magazine filled with not only =
great=20
  musicians, but other important issues such as the environment and =
politics=20
  and has turned into more of a tabloid dedicated to people that aren't =
even=20
  worthy of the title "musician" (a.k.a. Britney Spears, N'Sync, Jenifer =
Love=20
  Hewitt.)  Recently, I decided on a whim to buy one of their magazines =
in=20
  hope that it may have improved a bit.  Instead I was disappointed as =
usual=20
  and even a bit angry when I read a small column entitled "Excellent=20
  Australians" in which Midnight Oil was credited with only two =
sentences=20
  focused on the album D&D and the single Beds Are Burning.  I was glad =
to=20
  finally see something that I felt like reading in an issue of Rolling =
Stone,=20
  but at the same time disappointed that they didn't focus on any other =
aspect=20
  of the Oils than D&D...afterall there is so much more to the Oils than =
Beds=20
  Are Burning.

  >From: "Beth Curran" <bcurran@columbus.rr.com>
  >To: "'Tim Clausz'" <tclausz@yahoo.com>, "'rick'"=20
  ><rickysan@speedlink.com.au>,   <powderworks@cs.colorado.edu>
  >Subject: RE: [Powderworks] music magazines
  >Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:30:58 -0500
  >
  >I would have thought that RS would have at least had a page-length
  >article. Maybe they will once the members come out of hibernation.   =
  >wonder which mag will score the first proper interview?  No doubt =
it'll
  >be an Oz-based publication!  I hope it's soon cause I'm dying to hear
  >about H/M/R/H plans - Beth

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Heidi, you're exactly right.&nbsp; Several years ago I gave up my =
Rolling=20
Stone subscription because the publication drifted away from subject =
matter that=20
interested me.&nbsp; I&nbsp;wish they had expended as much =
energy&nbsp;producing=20
their magazine as they did trying to convince me to resubscribe!&nbsp; =
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Rgrds, Jeff</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dnedkellytheking@hotmail.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:nedkellytheking@hotmail.com">Heidi Shenk</A> </DIV>
title=3Dpowderworks@cs.colorado.edu=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:powderworks@cs.colorado.edu">powderworks@cs.colorado.edu</=
A>=20
  </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, January 12, 2003 =
6:35=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: [Powderworks] =
music=20
  magazines</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>I'm not at all surprised that Rolling Stone has given =
little=20
  attention to <BR>the fact that something in the real music world even=20
  happened.&nbsp; RS, which <BR>used to be a somewhat =
decent/controversial piece=20
  of journalism, has gone <BR>extremely downhill in the past several =
years. As=20
  far as I'm concerned, the <BR>magazine has gone from a rock and roll =
magazine=20
  filled with not only great <BR>musicians, but other important issues =
such as=20
  the environment and politics <BR>and has turned into more of a tabloid =

  dedicated to people that aren't even <BR>worthy of the title =
"musician"=20
  (a.k.a. Britney Spears, N'Sync, Jenifer Love <BR>Hewitt.)&nbsp; =
Recently, I=20
  decided on a whim to buy one of their magazines in <BR>hope that it =
may have=20
  improved a bit.&nbsp; Instead I was disappointed as usual <BR>and even =
a bit=20
  angry when I read a small column entitled "Excellent <BR>Australians" =
in which=20
  Midnight Oil was credited with only two sentences <BR>focused on the =
album=20
  D&amp;D and the single Beds Are Burning.&nbsp; I was glad to =
<BR>finally see=20
  something that I felt like reading in an issue of Rolling Stone, =
<BR>but at=20
  the same time disappointed that they didn't focus on any other aspect =
<BR>of=20
  the Oils than D&amp;D...afterall there is so much more to the Oils =
than Beds=20
  <BR>Are Burning.<BR><BR><BR>&gt;From: "Beth Curran" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:bcurran@columbus.rr.com">bcurran@columbus.rr.com</A>&gt;<B=
R>&gt;To:=20
  "'Tim Clausz'" &lt;<A=20
  href=3D"mailto:tclausz@yahoo.com">tclausz@yahoo.com</A>&gt;, "'rick'"=20
  <BR>&gt;&lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:rickysan@speedlink.com.au">rickysan@speedlink.com.au</A>&g=
t;,&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
  &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:powderworks@cs.colorado.edu">powderworks@cs.colorado.edu</=
A>&gt;<BR>&gt;Subject:=20
  RE: [Powderworks] music magazines<BR>&gt;Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 =
16:30:58=20
  -0500<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;I would have thought that RS would have at least =
had a=20
  page-length<BR>&gt;article. Maybe they will once the members come out =
of=20
  hibernation.&nbsp;&nbsp; I<BR>&gt;wonder which mag will score the =
first proper=20
  interview?&nbsp; No doubt it'll<BR>&gt;be an Oz-based =
publication!&nbsp; I=20
  hope it's soon cause I'm dying to hear<BR>&gt;about H/M/R/H plans -=20
  Beth<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;-----Original Message-----<BR>&gt;From: <A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu">powderworks-admin@cs.co=
lorado.edu</A><BR>&gt;[mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu]=20
  On Behalf Of Tim Clausz<BR>&gt;Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2003 2:06=20
  PM<BR>&gt;To: rick; <A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:powderworks@cs.colorado.edu">powderworks@cs.colorado.edu</=
A><BR>&gt;Subject:=20
  Re: [Powderworks] music magazines<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;In the =
current=20
  American edition of Rolling Stone where<BR>&gt;it's all about the =
music (the=20
  one with the shirtless<BR>&gt;Justin Timberlake on the cover), the =
following=20
  appears<BR>&gt;buried at the bottom of page 20 in their "In =
Other<BR>&gt;News"=20
  section: "Peter Garrett has left Midnight Oil<BR>&gt;after twenty-six =
years to=20
  be a full-time environmental<BR>&gt;activist.&nbsp; The remaining band =
members=20
  will continue<BR>&gt;recording together under a different name."&nbsp; =

  This<BR>&gt;in-depth coverage was surrounded by stories =
about<BR>&gt;Jay-Z=20
  releasing his own line of sneakers, a Pittsburgh<BR>&gt;man who was =
imprisoned=20
  for impersonating Will Smith,<BR>&gt;and Britney Spears asking for a=20
  restraining order<BR>&gt;against an alleged =
stalker.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Sadly,=20
  this is completely true.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;--- =
rick=20
  &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:rickysan@speedlink.com.au">rickysan@speedlink.com.au</A>&g=
t;=20
  wrote:<BR>&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Does =
anyone know=20
  if Rolling Stone or Juice<BR>&gt; &gt; magazine had some sort of Oils =
tribute=20
  in either<BR>&gt; &gt; their Dec. or Jan. issue?<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;=20
  &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; If not,it's =
a=20
  disgrace.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;=20
  =
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
  =
_____<BR>&gt;Do=20
  you Yahoo!?<BR>&gt;Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up=20
  =
now.<BR>&gt;http://mailplus.yahoo.com<BR>&gt;____________________________=