Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] rambling

Lina Yune midoil2001@yahoo.com.au
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 10:48:48 +1100 (EST)

--0-544822836-1041637728=:69158

Pete,
Hang in there...and have trust in the guys.
>From what I know, Rob is currently working with The Backsliders.  I just ordered Hanoi, and hearing the clips...oh yeah I need more...definitely !  Just calling that plain blues is definitely an understatement.  If you visit Basement.com web radio, and check the archives, there's a clip by Backsliders - Smokestack.  What a sound.  And the video....Rob is just jamming away there!  And Jim Conway's harmonica is amazing.  Dom Turner's guitar is very unique, and he has very distinctive voice.  Soooo......I think I am getting hooked already !  And believe me, it's really hard for me to like music so much so fast...
I am looking forward hearing from the rest of Oils, and their projects, because I just know they won't let us down or THEMSELVES  ...
Lina
 pete mellor <pete_mellor@hotmail.com> wrote:These are somewhat random thoughts and there may be a tendancy to ramble.

I placed 'The Real Thing' CD into my CD player the other day and for some
reason the fact that the band had split up finally dawned on me. 'The Real
Thing' CD is almost plain black with white writing on it, but what leapt out
was the Sprint logo, and more importantly the fact that there will never be
another CD produced with that logo on it. It was a strange moment and quite
emotional. Then I got to thinkin'. Midnight Oil can never be again without
Peter. That is a fact. I think Jim summed it up quite neatly in the notes
about the production of 'Capricornia': "...then Pete comes in and emotes all
over it." There is no voice quite like it in rock music. Bono can sing
pretty well but does he mean it? With Peter there is absolutely no doubt
that he means every word and that they bleed forth from him. I think he's
gonna miss it. Also, most of the songs have Pete's name in there as
composer.
Okay so that disclaimer is out of the way.
I've never heard the Fuzzface EP (if anyone UK Powderworker knows of a way
of rectifying this please let me know) but I imagine it's pretty good stuff
if it came from Jim and Nick Launay. I personally think that 'Too Much
Sunshine' is the best track from Capricornia and that one was written
entirely by Jim. My favourite track from Redneck Wonderland is 'Return to
Sender', another one of Jim's that didn't quite make it onto Breathe. Would
these tracks be as compelling if not for Peter's vocal? I don't know. The
two or three tracks on Neil Finn's solo album that Jim contributed to as
composer are some of the best on there.
It would appear that it is possible to get hold of some Ghostwriters stuff
so I am about to do that. I downloaded a track from Fibromoon the other day
and apart from some slightly dodgy lyrics the musicality of the thing was
intact. Dirty bass guitars and rifle crack snare drum! Beautiful. We know
Rob can sing.
Most of the tracks from Capricornia arose from Jim, Martin and Rob sitting
on the veranda with some guitars and working them out. Add Bones to that
relaxed picture and you have the new Midnight Oil line up.
Speaking of Bones, another singer. A great singer. Rob says he's got one of
the best voices he's heard and he keeps all the other guys together with his
affable manner. The Hunting Party was a lovely bit of production with Chris
Abrahams and Kelpie X helping out (I think Kelpie X is Martin. Am I right?)
Can anyone see where I am going with this?
Basically I hope they stay true to their statement of intent and continue
making music (hopefully with the Sprint logo). I will miss Peter's vocal but
perhaps this can be viewed as a good thing for Bones, Jim, Martin and Rob, a
turning point if you will. Everything will sound different but it might just
sound fantastic.

If anyone got to the end of this rant I hope it made some sort of sense.
Essentially this was meant to make me feel better about what great music we
could be hearing. After all, at the end of the US tour didn't Peter say that
they had been writing while on the road and that they would be going into
the studio again in 2003? What will happen to those songs?

Here's hoping,

Pete

Yahoo! Movies
- What's on at your local cinema?
--0-544822836-1041637728=:69158

<P>Pete,
<P>Hang in there...and have trust in the guys.
<P>From what I know, Rob is currently working with The Backsliders.&nbsp; I just ordered Hanoi, and hearing the clips...oh yeah I need more...definitely !&nbsp; Just calling that plain blues is definitely an understatement.&nbsp; If you visit Basement.com web radio, and check the archives, there's a clip by Backsliders - Smokestack.&nbsp; What a sound.&nbsp; And the video....Rob is just jamming away there!&nbsp; And Jim Conway's harmonica is amazing.&nbsp; Dom Turner's guitar is very unique, and he has very distinctive voice.&nbsp; Soooo......I think I am getting hooked already !&nbsp; And believe me, it's really hard for me to like music so much so fast...
<P>I am looking forward hearing from the rest of Oils, and their projects, because I just know they won't let us down or THEMSELVES&nbsp; ...
<P>Lina
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">These are somewhat random thoughts and there may be a tendancy to ramble.<BR><BR>I placed 'The Real Thing' CD into my CD player the other day and for some <BR>reason the fact that the band had split up finally dawned on me. 'The Real <BR>Thing' CD is almost plain black with white writing on it, but what leapt out <BR>was the Sprint logo, and more importantly the fact that there will never be <BR>another CD produced with that logo on it. It was a strange moment and quite <BR>emotional. Then I got to thinkin'. Midnight Oil can never be again without <BR>Peter. That is a fact. I think Jim summed it up quite neatly in the notes <BR>about the production of 'Capricornia': "...then Pete comes in and emotes all <BR>over it." There is no voice quite like it in rock music. Bono can sing <BR>pretty well but does he mean it? With Peter there is absolutely no doubt <BR>that he means every word and that they bleed forth from him. I think he's <BR>gonna miss it. Also, most of the songs have Pete's name in there as <BR>composer.<BR>Okay so that disclaimer is out of the way.<BR>I've never heard the Fuzzface EP (if anyone UK Powderworker knows of a way <BR>of rectifying this please let me know) but I imagine it's pretty good stuff <BR>if it came from Jim and Nick Launay. I personally think that 'Too Much <BR>Sunshine' is the best track from Capricornia and that one was written <BR>entirely by Jim. My favourite track from Redneck Wonderland is 'Return to <BR>Sender', another one of Jim's that didn't quite make it onto Breathe. Would <BR>these tracks be as compelling if not for Peter's vocal? I don't know. The <BR>two or three tracks on Neil Finn's solo album that Jim contributed to as <BR>composer are some of the best on there.<BR>It would appear that it is possible to get hold of some Ghostwriters stuff <BR>so I am about to do that. I downloaded a track from Fibromoon the other day <BR>and apart from some slightly dodgy lyrics the musicality o