Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] SMOC: Hello & why I like Midnight Oil

Dave Schultz dschultz29@hotmail.com
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:40:50 -0500

A while back I sent a soemwhat angry message to the group to keep politics
off, while expressing support for a war to remove Hussein. Since I rarely
post this was probably not good on both counts.
I didn't receive a single angry response, actually got two letters of
support, which shows how great and open-minded we all are.
Nonetheless, I'd like to share the following "welcome" post I wrote for my
school's conservative newsgroup, just because I've felt I oughta explain/
somewhat redeem myself. Oils get mentioned at end.

[....]Briefly, though, I will say I too have lived all my life in Ottawa -
but wait, its not that bad!- have travelled widely in North America, and a
small corner of Europe & North Africa.
As I have said before, I am surely the elderly resident of the group,
and-ohmygod Mozart's Requiem is on CBC2 right now! [for you pws: actually
only in my late 20s]
Anyway, politics: -Well I wrote a long, specific, name-dropping bit here,
then realized, geez that's alot for a guy who doesn't wanna say much. As
noted before though, I'm a libertarian (considered myself a 19th c. styled
anarchist in my angry teens). But my influences are all over the traditional
left-right liberal-conservative spectrum (and throughout the fields),
including feminists, gay writers, working-class poets, philosophers, all
religious stripes, interesting bands, smart people I know, my parents (no
that wasn't necessarily redundant- nyuk nyuk), etc. For example, I'm a HUGE
Midnight Oil fan ("Beds Are Burning"), feel very passionately about same
issues they do, and generally agree with their views (though some I'm quite
opposite). They are considered very left-wing by most; I consider them very
humane, democratic, and humble.
What after school? Dream universities? Travel, England, France, or Spain,
teaching.
There, kept that last one short.