Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] A quick Pete update

Mike Blackwood mikeb@cs.mun.ca
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:30:16 -0230 (NDT)

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, James Warren wrote:

> "If you're prime minister or leader of the Opposition you're talking
> about these issues regularly and explaining their complexity. The
> public can't be expected to stay abreast of all these issues. They've
> got plenty on their plates trying to keep their heads above water in a
> busy, frantic world."
>
> I appreciate this sentiment.  I've been thinking about this dilemma a
> lot lately, and Peter articulated it well without being elitist.

Too true... still, in a democracy it is the responsibility of the voter to
bust his ass TRYING to be as informed as possible.  It's the fact that
so many in the general populace DON'T make that effort that has reduced
politicians to speaking in soundbites and only trying to appeal to the
"lowest common denomenator" of society.  This then turns the more
considered individual off of politics altogether, and further damages the
system.  This is how we wind up with the pathetically low voter turn-outs
that are so prevalent in Canada and the US...

Talk about a vicious cycle!

Mike Blackwood