Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Maralinga

Jeff and Jane Scott jscott@iinet.net.au
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 13:14:57 +0800

At 18-04-03 02:42 PM -0700, Randy Van Vliet wrote:

>MOC:  What actually happened at Maralinga?  And is Tin
>Legs realted to Maralinga at all?  I only ask because
>the songs flow so well together.

Maralinga (somewhere in the back of South Australia) was the site used by
the British government in the 1950's for testing atomic weapons.  The site
was chosen because nobody lived out there - nobody important anyway, just a
few aboriginal tribes who at that time didn't count.

There was some attempt before the tests to move the aboriginal people out
of the area and onto missions, but not all of them were found and many left
the missions to return to their land.

jeff...