Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] VLMOC: anti-Americanism, so-called

Tom Davies minuteparticular@yahoo.com.au
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 01:50:57 +1000 (EST)

--0-1713385216-1050508257=:54242

Mike wrote:

> What bothers me is that some people seem much more willing to >criticize what the U. S. is doing than what the regime of Saddam >Hussein has done. That is where the anti-American perception comes >in, at least for me.

This line of reasoning seems to come up a lot, and I think it deserves a response. I object to it on two grounds. First, it's kind of irrelevant. If somebody offers a valid criticism of U.S. policy, then logically that criticism is valid regardless of what else the person has or hasn't said.

Second, there are some good reasons why it makes sense to spend one's time criticizing U.S. policy rather than Saddam's regime (even when Saddam's regime still existed). Most of us on this list are either Australians or Americans, so it's *our* governments that have been involved in the U.S.-led war on Iraq. Both of our countries call themselves democracies. That means that we, as ordinary people, are supposed to be able to have some influence over our governments -- and therefore, it seems to me, we also have some degree of moral obligation to try to influence our governments in the right direction. Also, the global debate over the war has been, basically, about whether or not the U.S. should go to war, and how other countries should respond to the U.S.'s actions. Given that U.S. actions are the central issue in this debate, it seems obvious to me that those actions are what should be discussed. Finally, to state that Iraq was until recently governed by a despicable, murderous, totalitarian regime is just stating the obvious. Criticism of U.S. policy, on the other hand, frequently involves stating that which is not already obvious to a lot of people, and hence is a lot more worth stating.

best,

Tom

p.s. I offer my condolences to those who are sick of this political content. On the other hand, my subject line does indicate Very Little Midnight Oil Content, and if you're reading this, you chose to open this email anyway.

p.p.s. One more thought: the Oils have sung many songs that criticize U.S. policy. I don't think they've sung any anti-Saddam songs. Does that make them anti-American, according to Mike's reasoning above?

Opposition is true Friendship.

William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Mobile
--0-1713385216-1050508257=:54242

<DIV>
<P>Mike wrote:</P><FONT face=arial,helvetica><FONT lang=0 face=Arial size=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF">
<P><BR>&gt; What bothers me is that some people seem much more willing to &gt;criticize what the U. S. is doing than what the regime of Saddam &gt;Hussein has done. That is where the anti-American perception comes &gt;in, at least for me.&nbsp;</P>
<P>This line of reasoning seems to come up a lot, and I think it deserves a response. I object to it on two grounds. First, it's kind of irrelevant. If somebody offers a valid criticism of U.S. policy, then logically&nbsp;that criticism is valid regardless of what else the person has or hasn't said. </P>
<P>Second, there are some good reasons why it makes sense to spend one's time&nbsp;criticizing U.S. policy rather than Saddam's regime (even when Saddam's regime still existed). Most of us on this list are either Australians or Americans, so it's *our* governments that have been involved in the U.S.-led war on Iraq. Both of our countries call themselves democracies. That means that we, as ordinary people, are supposed to be able to have some influence over our governments -- and therefore, it seems to me, we also have some degree of moral obligation to try to influence our governments in the right direction. Also, the global debate over the war has been, basically, about whether or not the U.S. should go to war, and how other countries should respond to the U.S.'s actions. Given that U.S. actions are the central issue in this debate, it seems obvious to me that those actions are what should be discussed. Finally, to state that Iraq was until recently governed by a despicable, murderous, totalitarian regime is just stating the obvious. Criticism of U.S. policy, on the other hand, frequently involves stating that which is not already obvious to a lot of people, and hence is a lot more worth stating.</P>
<P>best,</P>
<P>Tom</P>
<P>p.s. I offer my condolences to those who are sick of this political content. On the other hand, my subject line does indicate Very Little Midnight Oil Content, and if you're reading this, you chose to open this email anyway.</P>
--0-1713385216-1050508257=:54242--