Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] weirdest Oils song

Anna Offler aoffler@iprimus.com.au
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 22:25:47 +0930

Beth and Heidi,
Thanks for sharing that.
You girls have been watching way too many old movies on cable. Either that
or you were censors in a previous life.
What next a rocket taking off and a waterfall.
That got taken off in one or 2 comedy films. Was it Flying High or Hot
Shots?
Lew
PS I do love Antartica as well but for the literal meaning.

-----Original Message-----
From: powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu
[mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu]On Behalf Of Beth Curran
Sent: Tuesday, 15 April 2003 8:59 PM
To: 'Heidi Shenk'; powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
Subject: RE: [Powderworks] weirdest Oils song

OK, I sent this privately to Heidi and she says I should post this as an
antidote to the rather argumentative strain that's crept in here lately.
I'm afraid you'll kick me off the list - either that or I'll be regarded
as some sort of weirdo, but here goes.  First, the legal disclaimer:
Men will read this post strictly at their own risk.  I am not
responsible for damages to egos.

The weirdest Oils song has gotta be "Antarctica," which, for the record,
I dearly love.

That song's positively loaded with phallic symbols!  Landslides,
snowplows, storm clouds, slow fuses, "raining down all over the place,"
you name it, and as if that weren't enough, you got your rumble of
thunder at the end!  I'm not the only one who's noticed this display of
male sexual potency, though I'm not about to out any of my fellow female
Workers on this subject.  I also refuse to speculate whether whoever
wrote the lyrics knew what he was doing.  And no, I don't want to know
who wrote them, so if you DO know, please don't tell me.

OK, I'll shut up now. - Beth