Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC - Silverchair

Tari, Vince fstariv1@NMHG.com
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 00:13:00 -0500

Just thought i'd change the subject & talk about the band that I think will
be our country's greatest "thinking person's rock band" since the Oils.

I went to see their concert at the Sydney Ent Centre last night & it was
awesome. These guys have something special going and they showed it by
playing one of the tightest sets i've seen in a long time. Daniel Johns is a
brilliant singer/songwriter & can go from a sombre piano ballad to a
thrashing guitar solo in an instant.

Was disappointed though not to see Jim Moginie as a guest key board player,
given his recent contributions to the band.

They also seem to have introduced some more political issues into their
music, much in the same manner as the Oils. During last night's show, they
showed some clips of recent thought provoking events in Iraq during some
songs.

One message in particular had a large impact on the crowd. It showed a
picture of George W & the comments "when i say jump", then a picture of
Johnny Howard with the comments "i say how high".

I notice they're about to embark on a short world tour, so if you get the
chance & they're in your neighbourhood (& it's not already sold out), don't
hesitate to go catch them live. Trust me, they rock.

Later,

Vince

April 17, 2003 Newcastle, AUS Civic Theatre SOLD OUT
April 19, 2003 Newcastle, AUS Civic Theatre SOLD OUT
April 20, 2003 Newcastle, AUS Entertainment Centre SOLD OUT
May 9, 2003 Recife, BRAZIL Classic Hall Tickets on sale now
May 14, 2003 Rio de Janeiro, BRAZIL ATL Hall Tickets on sale now
May 15, 2003 Sao Paulo, BRAZIL Credicard Hall Tickets on sale now
May 19, 2003 New York , USA Bowery Ballroom SOLD OUT
May 20, 2003 New York , USA Bowery Ballroom SOLD OUT
May 23, 2003 Toronto, CANADA Kool Haus SOLD OUT
May 24, 2003 Toronto, CANADA Kool Haus SOLD OUT
May 27, 2003 Los Angeles, USA Henry Fonda Theater SOLD OUT
May 30, 2003 Berlin, GERMANY Berlin Arena (Treptow)
June 2, 2003 Amsterdam, The NETHERLANDS The Paradiso SOLD OUT
June 3, 2003 Paris, FRANCE Mutualite Tickets on sale now
June 6, 2003 GERMANY Rock Am Ring Festival Tickets on sale now
June 7, 2003 GERMANY Rock Im Park Festival Tickets on sale now
June 9, 2003 London, UK Shepherds Bush Empire Tickets on sale now
June 10, 2003 London, UK Shepherds Bush Empire SOLD OUT
June 12, 2003 London, UK Shepherds Bush Empire SOLD OUT
June 13, 2003 London, UK Shepherds Bush Empire SOLD OUT