Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] A Rare Political post from Michael!

Michael mbtigger@charter.net
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 23:18:12 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0020_01C30080.9F84CBC0

I almost never write to the list on political topics. I don't read many =
of the political posts. I have been reading the occasional war post and =
I decided to write on a few topics. But since I have a few beers in me =
and can't sleep, I thought I might reply. As I live in the USA, that =
does color my view a bit. Be warned, this is a LONG post, and others may =
have covered the same area in posts I missed. For those of you with =
limited time but interested - Just read the last 3 Paragraphs. To keep a =
BIT of Oils content - I am listening to Capricornia as I type this..=20

  1.. Is the war about U.S. security? - This is the hardest question. I =
cannot answer it. I am not privy to intelligence reports from the CIA. I =
am willing to believe it is POSSIBLE. Iraq DID invade 2 countries, and =
has used chemical weapons in the past. As for the U.S. using 9/11 as an =
excuse to invade Iraq, there is a grain of truth to that. Many people in =
our government felt that Hussein was "Unfinished Business"; that he was =
a destabilizing influence in the Middle East, and was a threat to U.S. =
interests. After 9/11 more people were willing to look at Hussein as a =
potential threat, and an invasion was possible. I don't think we would =
have invaded Iraq without SOME kind of event that would make people =
listen to the hawkish elements in the U.S. government.=20
  2.. Is the war about Oil? - In many ways YES. I don't think Bush wants =
direct control of the Iraqi oil fields, but the free market flow of oil =
is important to the US - and to other countries. If it were not for Oil, =
Hussein would not have had the military capacity he had, and would not =
be seen as a possible threat. Oil colors everything about foreign policy =
in that region - That is true of just about every country who buys Oil.=20
  3.. Would inspections have worked? No. There are quite a few =
scientists on the list. Most of them can tell you how amazingly =
difficult it is to prove a negative supposition. The U.S. and Great =
Britain could always have claimed weapons were being hid. If some were =
found and destroyed there might always have been more. It does not =
matter which side of the argument you believe, ultimate proof would be =
hard to come by.=20
  4.. Is this all about Bush getting re-elected? Well - what is good for =
Bush and what is good for U.S. national interests are not necessarily =
different. But what is good for the U.S. is not necessarily good for =
other countries around the world. Leaders will do what is good for their =
country - and the votes will follow later. .=20
  5.. Is it a war of liberation? - Liberation is a very positive side =
effect, but it is not a reason for the U.S. to go to war. There are many =
cruel dictators that have never had U.S. forces invade their country. =
The U.S. goes where U.S. interests lie.
  6.. Is it a lawful exercise? (according to international standards) - =
read Virgil's post - one of the more thoughtful posts I have read on =
political topics recently (and I admit I have not read all of them). The =
world is changing - Laws are constantly being re-interpreted in the USA =
- and our legislatures often revisit our civil code frequently. . =
International standards might change in much the same way.=20
  7.. Do I approve of the war? OUCH - I have been so torn over this =
question. The only way to PROVE someone means to harm you is to actually =
have him or her try to harm you. The default in the USA is innocent =
until proven guilty - yet you can get restraining orders based on =
threats and past behavior. Well - I did not actively disapprove. Maybe =
silence does equal consent.=20
In the end it is a war whose motives are open to question. And I mean =
OPEN TO QUESTION. The motives cannot be flatly refuted either. However, =
IF Iraq is able to select a stable government, rebuild the country, and =
improve the economy, then secondary motives and "side effects" might =
actually be better for Iraq than more years ruled by Hussein. Only time =
will tell if this is true.=20

Sadly, I know of no international standard for the removal of fascist =
regimes that oppress their own population. If such a standard was set, =
and APPLIED - maybe things like this might not happen. I pray for things =
to work well - in the strangest of all worlds, this would be a war =
fought for the wrong reasons, but with a morally strong result that =
justifies itself. I will not say that violence never solved anything - =
It is just the worst solution in most cases. But sometimes the worst =
solution is better than no solution at all. Look at Rwanda or the Congo. =
There are no strong US interests there - No incentives for a stable =
government, and no intervention. Hundreds of thousands of people have =
died. I have head of estimates as high as 800,000 in Rwanda (I cannot =
vouch for accuracy - But most estimates I have read are above 500,000). =
Could intervention be much worse?

Have you stuck with me? If you have I thank you - This was such a =
depressing and difficult post that I went from the Oils to Leonard Cohen =
while writing it.

It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah.

Michael

------=_NextPart_000_0020_01C30080.9F84CBC0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<P>I almost never write to the list on political topics. I don&#8217;t =
read many of=20
the political posts. I have been reading the occasional war post and I =
decided=20
to write on a few topics. But since I have a few beers in me and =
can&#8217;t sleep, I=20
thought I might reply. As I live in the USA, that does color my view a =
bit. Be=20
warned, this is a LONG post, and others may have covered the same area =
in posts=20
I missed. For those of you with limited time but interested &#8211; Just =
read the last=20
3 Paragraphs. To keep a BIT of Oils content &#8211; I am listening to =
Capricornia as I=20
type this&#8230;. </P>
<OL>
  <LI>Is the war about U.S. security? &#8211; This is the hardest =
question. I cannot=20
  answer it. I am not privy to intelligence reports from the CIA. I am =
willing=20
  to believe it is POSSIBLE. Iraq DID invade 2 countries, and has used =
chemical=20
  weapons in the past. As for the U.S. using 9/11 as an excuse to invade =
Iraq,=20
  there is a grain of truth to that. Many people in our government felt =
that=20
  Hussein was "Unfinished Business"; that he was a destabilizing =
influence in=20
  the Middle East, and was a threat to U.S. interests. After 9/11 more =
people=20
  were willing to look at Hussein as a potential threat, and an invasion =
was=20
  possible. I don&#8217;t think we would have invaded Iraq without SOME =
kind of event=20
  that would make people listen to the hawkish elements in the U.S. =
government.=20
  </LI>
  <LI>Is the war about Oil? &#8211; In many ways YES. I don&#8217;t =
think Bush wants direct=20
  control of the Iraqi oil fields, but the free market flow of oil is =
important=20
  to the US &#8211; and to other countries. If it were not for Oil, =
Hussein would not=20
  have had the military capacity he had, and would not be seen as a =
possible=20
  threat. Oil colors everything about foreign policy in that region =
&#8211; That is=20
  true of just about every country who buys Oil. </LI>
  <LI>Would inspections have worked? No. There are quite a few =
scientists on the=20
  list. Most of them can tell you how amazingly difficult it is to prove =
a=20
  negative supposition. The U.S. and Great Britain could always have =
claimed=20
  weapons were being hid. If some were found and destroyed there might =
always=20
  have been more. It does not matter which side of the argument you =
believe,=20
  ultimate proof would be hard to come by. </LI>
  <LI>Is this all about Bush getting re-elected? Well - what is good for =
Bush=20
  and what is good for U.S. national interests are not necessarily =
different.=20
  But what is good for the U.S. is not necessarily good for other =
countries=20
  around the world. Leaders will do what is good for their country =
&#8211; and the=20
  votes will follow later. . </LI>
  <LI>Is it a war of liberation? - Liberation is a very positive side =
effect,=20
  but it is not a reason for the U.S. to go to war. There are many cruel =

  dictators that have never had U.S. forces invade their country. The =
U.S. goes=20
  where U.S. interests lie.</LI>
  <LI>Is it a lawful exercise? (according to international standards) =
&#8211; read=20
  Virgil&#8217;s post &#8211; one of the more thoughtful posts I have =
read on political=20
  topics recently (and I admit I have not read all of them). The world =
is=20
  changing &#8211; Laws are constantly being re-interpreted in the USA =
&#8211; and our=20
  legislatures often revisit our civil code frequently. . International=20
  standards might change in much the same way. </LI>
  <LI>Do I approve of the war? OUCH &#8211; I have been so torn over =
this question.=20
  The only way to PROVE someone means to harm you is to actually have =
him or her=20
  try to harm you. The default in the USA is innocent until proven =
guilty &#8211; yet=20
  you can get restraining orders based on threats and past behavior. =
Well &#8211; I=20
  did not actively disapprove. Maybe silence does equal consent. =
</LI></OL>
<P>In the end it is a war whose motives are open to question. And I mean =
OPEN TO=20
QUESTION. The motives cannot be flatly refuted either. However, IF Iraq =
is able=20
to select a stable government, rebuild the country, and improve the =
economy,=20
then secondary motives and "side effects" might actually be better for =
Iraq than=20
more years ruled by Hussein. Only time will tell if this is true. </P>
<P>Sadly, I know of no international standard for the removal of fascist =
regimes=20
that oppress their own population. If such a standard was set, and =
APPLIED &#8211;=20
maybe things like this might not happen. I pray for things to work well =
&#8211; in the=20
strangest of all worlds, this would be a war fought for the wrong =
reasons, but=20
with a morally strong result that justifies itself. I will not say that =
violence=20
never solved anything - It is just the worst solution in most cases. But =

sometimes the worst solution is better than no solution at all. Look at =
Rwanda=20
or the Congo. There are no strong US interests there &#8211; No =
incentives for a=20
stable government, and no intervention. Hundreds of thousands of people =
have=20
died. I have head of estimates as high as 800,000 in Rwanda (I cannot =
vouch for=20
accuracy &#8211; But most estimates I have read are above 500,000). =
Could intervention=20
be much worse?</P>
<P>Have you stuck with me? If you have I thank you &#8211; This was such =
a depressing=20
and difficult post that I went from the Oils to Leonard Cohen while =
writing=20
it.</P>
<P>It&#8217;s a cold and it&#8217;s a broken Hallelujah&#8230;</P>
<P>Michael</P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0020_01C30080.9F84CBC0--