Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Oils and their ilk in Oz

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 15:46:50 -0400 (EDT)

--0-1529966446-1049744810=:53851

Greetings Powderkinder!

I am compiling a list of bands from Australia that deal with similar stuff to the Oils. If you get a chance, could you post me with suggestions for listening/sharing?

It's for a short paper that investigates the c. 1960's-70's New Songs movement of Latin American folk singers. Kind of asking 'where have all the flowers gone?' - that sort of thing. I'm proposing that some form of the same thing - ie concientization - has taken hold in Australia, with the Oils being premier exponents. It gives me a chance to write about the world's best band and their cause (and get credit too) and I couldn't think of a better resource than this list.

The basic themes are concientization (awakening), social justice, ecology, violence, exploitation, peace, revolution... all the usual 'oily' stuff. (And they have to be Australian bands.)

Appreciate any of you taking the time to help me out. If you want to post your suggested lists to Powderworks, it might make for interesting reading - if nobody objects? Or just email off list if you'd rather. Thanks again.

cheers,

bruce in calgary

--0-1529966446-1049744810=:53851

<P>Greetings Powderkinder!</P>
<P>I am compiling a list of bands from Australia that deal with similar stuff to the Oils. If you get a chance, could you post me with suggestions for listening/sharing?</P>
<P>It's for a&nbsp;short paper that investigates&nbsp;the c. 1960's-70's New Songs movement of Latin American folk singers. Kind of asking 'where have all the flowers gone?' - that sort of thing. I'm proposing that some form of the same thing - ie concientization - has taken hold in Australia, with the Oils being premier exponents. It gives me a chance to write about the world's best band and their cause (and get credit too) and I couldn't think of a better resource than this list.</P>
<P>The basic themes are concientization (awakening), social justice, ecology, violence, exploitation, peace, revolution... all the usual 'oily' stuff. (And they have to be Australian bands.)</P>
<P>Appreciate any of you taking the time to help me out. If you want to post your suggested lists to Powderworks, it might make for interesting reading - if nobody objects? Or just email off list if you'd rather. Thanks again.</P>
<P>cheers,</P>
<P>bruce in calgary</P>
--0-1529966446-1049744810=:53851--