Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC raging against the world

Glitch sena.reisenweaver@verizon.net
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 22:15:15 -0400

> Man I am messed up - that's "tomorrow" not "later"
> When a day starts with a state-sponsored murder, I find it hard to
> concentrate.  Good night from beautiful Ohio, 5 down and lots more to go
> - we're second only to Texas in size of our death row!  Woo hoo!
> Somebody help me here, guys, tell me there's essential good in mankind
> or make me believe in a god or SOMETHING, anything, I don't care, just
> get me out of this grave they dug today for another miserable bastard

Sorry, Beth, humankind is NOT essentially good.  We are, essentially,
animals that have been cursed with sentience and thus, the ability to kill
each other for reasons other than our own survival.
I look at non-human animals with envy.  They live and die with only one
simple thought in mind: their own survival.  Our thoughts get so convoluted
and out of control we don't even realize anymore that all we are is just
animals with extremely over-developed frontal lobes.
Not that this will help you feel better, but I long ago gave up on the
entire race of humanity.  No, we aren't essentially good, and no, there
isn't some "just God" in the sky who will punish the wicked and bless the
good.  No, we're just mammals grubbing in the dirt, making a huge mess of
our planet.  So what to do?
Gather round you the people you love.  Do the things you love to do.  Try to
keep your corner of the world as healthy as possible.  Try not to think
about the rest of it.
G'night.