Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] (NMOC) Canadian Celebrities

Mike Blackwood mikeb@cs.mun.ca
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:36:13 -0230 (NDT)

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, Brian Jacobs wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 18:03:27
>  rumoursofglory wrote:
> >What about Bruce Cockburn?
>
> Was he one of the Kids in the Hall, 'cause I want an apology for them, too.

No, that was Bruce McCullough.  The Kids are brilliant, so I guess they
have to apologize for putting all their US contemporaries to shame, huh?
;-)

Mike

ps:  I'm from Newfoundland, the oldest part of the british empire
(re-re-discovered, after the natives 9000 years ago and the vikings 1000
years ago, by John Cabot in 1497) and the newest Canadian province (signed
up in 1949).  Were were a quasi-independant country until 1949, and gave
more per-capita to the ww1 war effort that anybody other than the UK.
Canada wasn't too far behind, though they actually sent conscripts to the
front.  The war was over before Newfoundland needed to send over
conscripts!

Anyway, we Canucks have our transgressions like any other nation,
but I think we've earned the right to eport whatever culture we want into
the world after the various roles we've played. (Canadians wrote the UN
charter of human rights, invented time-zones, invented UN peacekeeping).
We have no right to force that culture on anyone, of course, but we have a
right to export it to any receptive market without apology....

And the US pop-culture engine has exported enough dross that I'm suprised
you had the guts to complain about Canuck exports!  ;-)