Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] RE: NMOC - Non-Oils fave music + newbie intro

Alister Thomas a_thomas@bigpond.net.au
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 01:06:51 +1000

Hi all

brief intro from a newbie: I live in Melbourne, Australia, am nearly 27 and
have been listening to the Oils since around '87 (when Diesel and Dust came
out) and have only seen them live once (in 1990, Blue Sky Mining tour). I
intend to see them play again ASAP!! I prefer their 80's stuff but am
slowly warming to the 90's + 00's stuff (I only have 2 albums to collect
from their entire collection - ESM&S and Redneck Wonderland).

It's great to have discovered an Oils list (I was refered by another
current listee who is also on another list I'm subbed to). Good, also, to
see a list with a good proportion of Aussies (for a change!).

Looking forward to future discussions ;)

Alister

PS - Seeing as though I listen to heaps of other music besides MO, thought
I'd join the current Non-Oils fave music thread:

>Favorite Artist

Very tough call - Bark Psychosis, perhaps??
Windy & Carl are another fav.

>Favorite Album

'Substrata' - Biosphere

>Favorite Song

'Gargoyle waiting' - Trail of Dead
'Ralome' - Plaid
'Bach ze' - High Llamas

>Favorite album by a female artist

'Floating into the night' - Julee Cruise
'Hour of the trace' - Jessica Bailiff
'Hounds of love' - Kate Bush

>Favorite song by a female artist

'Rockin' back inside my heart' - Julee Cruise

>Favorite Performance by a solo artist

'Apollo - atmospheres and soundtracks' - Brian Eno

>Favorite rock song

'Gardenia' - Kyuss

>Favorite rap/hip-hop song

The closest would be 'Lovely head' - Goldfrapp
'Remember me' - Blueboy

>Favorite country song

The theme from 'Dukes of hazard' - Waylon Jennings (from memory)

>Favorite metal/industrial/elektronika song

'Territory' - Sepultura
'Just one fix' - Ministry
'Super nova' - Spacecube
'These waves' - Young American Primitive

>Favorite "not-so serious" artist

Brian Jonestown Massacre
Type O Negative

>Best music to celebrate to

any of the 'Northern exposure' series - Sacha & Digweed

>Best music after a crappy, crappy day

'Laughing stock' - Talk Talk
anything by Midnight Oil
'Vanishing point' - Primal Scream
'Bloody kisses' - Type O Negative

>Best music to fall in love to

Julee Cruise
Sugar Plant

>Best music to pump you up

Led Zeppelin
Kyuss
Beach Boys

>Best music to mellow out to

Windy & Carl
Massive Attack
anything by Steve Roach/Vidna Obmana
Global Communication
Slowdive

>Most emotional music

Red House Painters

>Best song/album from the 60s or before

'White light/white heat' - Velvet Underground

>70s

'IV' - Led Zepellin
'Unknown pleasures' - Joy Division
'Evening star' - Brian Eno/Robert Fripp
'Rocket to Russia' - Ramones

>80s

'Faith' - The Cure
'The Queen is dead' - The Smiths
'Bad moon rising' - Sonic Youth
'Psycho candy' - Jesus & Mary Chain
'Floodland' - Sisters of Mercy
self-titled - Stone Roses

>90s and 00s

'Hex' - Bark Psychosis
'Lazer guided melodies' - Spiritualized
'Loveless' - My Bloody Valentine
'All about satellites and spaceships' - 7% Solution
'Substrata' - Biosphere

>Best Soundtrack

Sid & Nancy: love kills
Dead man
The great rock 'n' roll swindle
True (Roy Montgomery & Chris Heaphy)
Baraka

>Your current "guilty pleasure"

80's pop music!!!

>Name one more song you like that you haven't mentioned yet

'Suck you dry' - Mudhoney
'Rose II' - State of Grace
'Svern g-englar - Sigur Ros

>Favorite punk song