Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] It took the most powerful rock band in the world to save my soul.

Rusty Shock rustyshock@alltel.net
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 19:41:18 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C260DD.B07E47A0

Greetings Powderworkers.

My name is Rusty and I'm new to the list, but I've been a Powderworker =
since Diesel and Dust.  Just some quick background on how I discovered =
the Oils.  The group released Diesel when I was a lonely 17 year old kid =
in a tiny, racist little place called Stamps, Arkansas.  I went up to =
Little Rock one weekend and buy the album, only to discover that =
Midnight Oil already had 6 previous albums.  I bought them all.

As you can guess, my eyes were opened wider than they had ever been =
before and I learned through this tough, genuine, angry, articulate =
music that there's nothing funny about thinking that the world is a fine =
place and worth fighting for.  Not only did the Oils open my mind, they =
touched my heart and awoke my spirit, which was in terrible peril at the =
time.

14 years later, I'm 31 years old and I feel that I am a better person =
for having been "annointed by the Oils" :-)  And Midnight Oil is, =
without a doubt, still the Most Powerful Rock Band in the World.

Anyway, I discovered the list from online research I was =
doing--specifically, looking for information on an Oils song that we'll =
be performing in church (I'm not a Christian, in case anyone was =
wondering.  I'm a Unitarian Universalist) on Oct 13.  I'll let you guys =
know how that turns out!

Now, a couple of questions:

I once heard that Midnight Oil turned down an opportunity to do the =
soundtrack album for Terry Gilliam's movie adaptation of Alan Moore's =
classic graphic novel "The Watchmen".  Since that project never went =
forward, whether or not this is true is a moot point, I guess, but if =
the Oils were to do a big-budget movie soundtrack, is that something =
that we as fans could live with?  I myself think that it would be really =
cool.

And can anyone think of any American rock band or artist that can =
compare with the Oils in terms of power, true patriotism, and giving a =
damn?  I can't.  What my country needs is an "American Midnight Oil"  =
American Powderworkers, pray for it.

It's really good to be here!
Rusty

------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C260DD.B07E47A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4611.1300" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Greetings Powderworkers.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>My name is Rusty and I'm new to the list, but I've =
been a=20
Powderworker since Diesel and Dust.&nbsp; Just some quick background on =
how I=20
discovered the Oils.&nbsp; The group released Diesel when I was a lonely =
17 year=20
old kid in a tiny, racist little place called Stamps, Arkansas.&nbsp; I =
went up=20
to Little Rock one weekend and buy the album, only to discover that =
Midnight Oil=20
already had 6 previous albums.&nbsp; I bought them all.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>As you can guess, my eyes were opened wider than =
they had ever=20
been before and I learned through this tough, genuine, angry, articulate =
music=20
that there's nothing funny about thinking that the world is a fine place =
and=20
worth fighting for.&nbsp; Not only did the Oils open my mind, they =
touched my=20
heart and awoke my spirit, which was in terrible peril at the =
time.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>14 years later, I'm 31 years old and I feel that I =
am a better=20
person for having been "annointed by the Oils" :-)&nbsp; And Midnight =
Oil is,=20
without a doubt, still the Most Powerful Rock Band in the =
World.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Anyway, I discovered the list from online research I =
was=20
doing--specifically, looking for information on an Oils song that we'll =
be=20
performing in church (I'm not a Christian, in case anyone was =
wondering.&nbsp;=20
I'm a Unitarian Universalist) on Oct 13.&nbsp; I'll let you guys know =
how that=20
turns out!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Now, a couple of questions:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I once heard that Midnight Oil turned down an =
opportunity to=20
do the soundtrack album for&nbsp;Terry Gilliam's movie&nbsp;adaptation =
of Alan=20
Moore's classic graphic novel "The Watchmen".&nbsp; Since that project =
never=20
went forward, whether or not this is true is a moot point, I guess, but =
if the=20
Oils were to do a big-budget movie soundtrack, is that something that we =
as fans=20
could live with?&nbsp; I myself think that it would be really =
cool.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>And can anyone think of any American rock band or =
artist that=20
can compare with the Oils in terms of power, true patriotism, and giving =
a=20
damn?&nbsp; I can't.&nbsp; What my country needs is an "American =
Midnight=20
Oil"&nbsp; American Powderworkers, pray for it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>It's really good to be here!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Rusty</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C260DD.B07E47A0--