Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Favorite Non-Oils Music

Jeremy Oviatt joviatt@bowg.com
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:29:52 -0600

This is an honest look at my Non-Midnight Oil music choices--some of you
may understand, some of you will not.  Diversity rules!

Favorite Artist: Depending on the day it is equally split between:
U2
Oingo Boingo (excluding the overplayed Dead Man's Party and Weird
Science)
(and Midnight Oil--But that was given concidering the list)
Others that need to be mentioned:
Radiohead
The Connellls
Smashing Pumpkins
Soundgarden
Willie Nelson (Yes-I can't get enough of his writing and guitar
playing)

Favorite Album:
U2--Zooropa
Oingo Boingo--Only a Lad
The Connells--Fun & games
Willie Nelson--The Red Headed Stranger

Favorite Song:
U2--Untill the end of the world

Favorite album by a female artist:
Sara McLachlan--Fumbling Toward Ecstasy

Favorite song by a female artist:
Emmy Lou Harris--Wafaring Stranger
Sara McLachlan--Ice cream
Natalie Mechant--Beloved Wife
Indigo girls--Closer to fine
Mary chapin Carpenter--Never had it so good

Favorite Performance by a solo artist OR BAND:
(My favorites are Oils (Progress--Black rain Falls) for sure, but
beside that..)
U2--Sunday Bloody Sunday (From the movie Rattle & Hum, I don't know the
exact venue)
U2--Bullet the Blue Sky (I don't know the venue info, but it can be
found on the Stay Far Away so close cd single)
Underworld--Rez Cowgirl (Everything, Everything)
Willie Nelson--Bloody Mary Morning/Take Me Back to Tulsa
U2--Exit (Mountains & desserts bootleg live recording)

Favorite rock song: (among the many...)
Smashing Pumpkins--Mayonaise -or- Rhinoceros
U2--Untill the end of the world
Soundgarden--My wave
Led Zeplin--Black dog
CCR--Fortunate Son
PJ Harvey--Down By the Water

Favorite rap/hip-hop song:
Huh? Is that rap stuff is still around? :)
(a genre of music I have yet to explore)

Favorite country song:
Willie Nelson--Me and Paul-or-Yesterday's Wine

Favorite metal/industrial/elektronika song:
Underworld--Rez Cowgirl

Favorite "not-so serious" artist:
They Might Be giants (Their earlier music)

Best music to celebrate to:
U2--Beautiful Day

Best music after a crappy, crappy day:
Angry day: Soundgarden--Fell onBlack days -or- Blow Up the Outside
world
Melancholy day: Anything by Miles Davis, Vince Guiraldi or George
Winston

Best music to fall in love to:
Sara McLachlan--Fumbling towards Ecstacy

Best music to pump you up:
Anything by Soundgarden, Alice In Chains & Smashing Pumpkins (this
"dates" me--I know)

Best music to mellow out to:
Miles Davis--58' Sessions: Stella By starlight

Most emotional music:
Dead Can Dance--Toward the Within

Best song/album from the 60s or before:
Miles Davis--58' Sessions: Stella By starlight

70s:
Willie Nelson--The Red Headed Stranger

80s:
The Cure--The Head on the door
Depeche Mode--101
PIL--Happy? -or- Compact Disc
REM--Lifes Rich Pagent

90s and 00s:
Soundgarden--Superunkown
U2--Actungbaby
Smashing Pumkins--Siamese dream
Peter Murphy--cascade
REM--Automatic For the people

Best Soundtrack:
U2 & others--The Million Dollar Hotel

Your current "guilty pleasure:"
Enough of my music is already a "guilty pleasure", but I would have to
say 1970's country music--Wille, Waylon, Don Williams, george Jones,
Merl Haggard ....etc.

Name one more song you like that you haven't mentioned yet: